Prof.Wizard

Dream Car

Taxes make all the difference, not the cost of the fuel itself.

You said that once, King, I didn't say anything.

It's true, but the difference for you and me is irrelevant. I don't care the reason why it's cheaper... it is!

However, I'm pretty sure its whole process is easier than to produce gasoline, so I guess there is a penny to pocket from that too.

You can always board a ski rack on top of your SL500 man! Or even your 911. It can be done. But it will be for you and your woman. Friends have to take their own vehicle.

BTW, I wasn't aware that AMD was tuning cars. Dude, you must be a real geek! :D  :P

(sorry, cheap shot... but since we're in a nerdy forum- permitted)

Yeah, but I've found that I like to bring a lot of gear, and of course now I have 2 kids. Also, there is very little snow/ground clearance in the 911 4WD - it isn't really meant for bad weather and bad roads, but more for stability.

As for the AMD <> AMG, what can I say, my fingers are tuned for this site...

And as for the M5 - I'm sure it's a very nice car, but it probably isn't as CHUCKABLE as the M3. The 3-series just has the right size and weight to be very responsive, and I'm not sure that more mass helps that equation on tight roads.

Future Shock

Also, there is very little snow/ground clearance in the 911 4WD - it isn't really meant for bad weather and bad roads, but more for stability.

Actually it is meant for that. Bad weather, bad roads... and all the rest of inherent advantages all 4x4 cars have. Seems that you haven't seen video shots of 911s on snow... amazing!

What a AWD 911 is not meant for is off-road capability. I agree about the clearance issue.

While not quite a "dream car" the Lambo Gallardo is affordable at around $165,000.

Damn you supercaf! :angry:

Calling the Gallardo affordable...

Of course for a rich guy a dream would be buying a small island and a dilemma what wood trim to place on his Learjet...

My boat was about $200k. Financed over 20 years, 5.75% interest payment of about $1300 a month.

Trade in the M5 for $47k, put down another $23k, finance $90k at 5.75% over 5 years, payment of $1700 /month.

Now of course I rent an apartment rather than own a house.....

Things like boats and cars < $200k are affordable.

Houses around here start at about $600k. I'm waiting for one year's bonus to equal a down payment before I buy a house. That might take a couple of years and the market to turn around, but it will happen eventually.

Also, cars and boats are portable. Houses are not. If you have to move to take a new job selling them isn't always so easy, and renting them is another major hassle.... month after month....

I can take the car and the boat with me for a few thousand in shipping if need be. If I own a house and I end up changing jobs I'll end up paying a mortgage and renting at the same time. Not a situation I would look forward to.

Sure, cars and boats depreciate. But so do people as we get older watch our youth disappear. Might as well have fun while I'm young.

At work, generally the worst they can do is fire you.

In life the worst thing that can happen is you die. Sure, worse things can happen, but you can just put a bullet in your head and end that misery.

Carpe diem.

I like the aforementioned Gallardo and the new Bently Continental GT.:

_38280349_bentley_continental300.jpg

continentalgtf.jpg

There's something about the Maybach 62:

maybachinnen.jpg

...but you'd need to hire a driver to appreciate it.

Yep, the Continental GT is a rather nice car.

More please... wanna see your taste people! :)

Hey Wiz(did I just insult the Prof? Purely unintentional),

"normal B&G thread" is an oxymoron.

Can we degrade this into another(I see the makings here) of another "we're more sophisticated/regal/intellectual" 'Euros' v. Amer-RICANs skanky, trashy, bimbo Spears/Aguilara/Madonna...kiss, kiss types?

S4 ain't no dream car...maybe you meant RS6?

Dream cars, can include non-production types correct?

Then throw in a Porsche AWD designed(Cayenne's are butt ugly/boring in styling...though the fly-eyed mini-projector lens Audi concept is a joke) pro-Rally car, now that's the ticket, much more ground clearance. Where to stash the kids though? Lingenfeller(sp?) mod'ed Hummers to the rescue. Better yet a Lingenfeller, mod'ed American SUV, with one of those normally aspirated big-block V-8's. Muscles cars, yeah baby, zero miles to the gallon, takes hundreds to fill up the tank...but who cares, so what if we get lung cancer from breathing in all the polutants and die at 58 like Warren Zevon.

Any electric dream cars yet...me wants one?

Wiz, don't bash Subies, the pro-Rally cars rock, they're wicked awesome---only cost about $300,000. A bank of 4 highly illegal megawatt HID driving lights in the front spoiler/apron...yeah, me's a light freak! Sure would be nice if some car makers would take the plunge, Mercedes maybe; and get rid of all that stupid glass around the projector lens, think of how great The Wiz's dream car would look, if they had integrated LED turn signals---using somekind of diffussion lens technique...regular LED are butt ugly, unsmooth...looks like a toy...to make a straight line around the corners of the fenders for turn signals, leaving the individual projectors to 'disappear' into the bodywork, instead of looking so compartmentalized...unsmooth.

I'm with FS(except no kids yet); I got's to ski. So maybe we need to start anther thread about what kind of leather(ostrich maybe) I should have put into the $20M helicopter---what's your dream luxury helicopter?, that I'll be needing to shuttle me to the mountains of Tibet for untracked endless miles/kilometers of 'cold smoke'(skier lingo).

Oh my dream car is just your plain ordinary AMG V-12 powered white 600CL, w/o Carrie Lu and her 10mile-long legs inside it, with the Mitisubshi commercial/"Dirty Vegas" hit playing on the sound system, via iPod---Macbidouille's(aka 'Macbidet') picts of iPod integrated into an Audi; a little bit of a 'grind' with her at 10mph on a deserted section of highway....hmmm, now that's my dream car---oh, darn there I go again, OT from that other thread. Of course, Katie Holmes by myside in her old Honda del Sol, cruising up PCH with the top removed(now that she lives here, being a Mid-west ocean/beach virgin gal, unlike me)...is another of my dream cars(oh I'm going to hear from the Wiz for going OT...but, but it's my interpretation that defines what a 'dream car' is). Taste?, I have no taste, I'm a friggin sophisticated/elitist/intellectual snob like...

1048215606.jpg

Agreed. But if you liked the 3-series, just imagine the M5 or the new 6-series!

not everyone appreciates the size of the m5, and it does handle differently from the m3. it looks like everything past the year 2003 for bmw is trash-worthy :(

Audi looks are gorgeous. Probably yes, Audi fires the inept.

the half-rounded styling looks very audi, but done poorly - that's why i said it.

I can't even appreciate the size of a 3-series. GTIs, Minis, and (of course) the Lotus Elise, are more my style. The Rally cars are nice, I like the 200+ hp out of a 2.0l 4-cyl.

One of the best cars I've owned was a '66 Austin Healey Sprite Midget (not the bugeye). It weighed in at ~1200lbs and put out nearly 60hp. It would not exceed 65mph (as the drive wheels left the ground at that speed), but would do anything you could think of at 55mph.

Dream car? The VW Golf R32 edition, with supercharger and without ~400lbs of crap they insist on putting in new cars.

1023.jpg

3.2l, in there? Whod'a thunk it?

1019.jpg

the golf v is not looking good to me :(

www.vwvortex.com for pics

Ugh...no. I will never own one of those.

Prof:

When I got my GTI, I test drove the 2.0l golf and the 1.9l TDI, the TDI still smells and sounds like a diesel. The torque is nice, but you rev your V-10 TDI and the guy in his V-6 accord will laugh at you.

Just read a review of the STi, WRX, and R32 @ VWVortex.com (link)

Daddy like ;)

sti, r32, and evo you mean? :P

it's amazing how much subtlety can affect a guy.  i think the evo is downright bad looking, but i love the wrx.

...um, yes....

(looks more closely at the label on the bottle, counts slowly for a few minutes, shakes head *slowly*)

when I wake up I'm sure I'll agree woth you.  Until then, so what?

Bristol Blenheim?

(that's what the pic says, fool)

I thought that was a WW2 bomber... :rolleyes:

When I got my GTI, I test drove the 2.0l golf and the 1.9l TDI, the TDI still smells and sounds like a diesel. The torque is nice, but you rev your V-10 TDI and the guy in his V-6 accord will laugh at you.

Try the new 2l FSI with the 2l TDI from the VW-Group.

These are new same-generation direct injection gasoline and diesel engines respectively. The latter is 10x better and responsive.

I don't care about the guys if my diesel makes another sound. I care more about real power (torque in wide range of revolutions) and my pocket for refuelling!

the golf v is not looking good to me :(

I liked Golf V. Actually a lot.

I didn't like its competitor, the new Opel Astra on the other hand.

But in this segment the Audi A3 is the king!