Sign in to follow this  
mdpo

Recommend a Hardisk

Hi! I am just new to this forum and would like to ask if the hitachi deskstar 180gxp would be compatible with my mother board EPOX 8kha+ since as per stated in the review :

"Remember that you must have a motherboard or an ATA controller that supports 48-bit LBA addressing to utilize the full capacity of drives greater than 137 GB in size."

and I am not sure whether my board would support such. Hope you can give feedback on this.

I am open to suggestion with other hardisk out there since IBM has a reliability issue. Any recommendations? How about seagate 8MB 160GB barracuda?

thanks

Your board supports HD larger than 137GB. Support was added with BIOS revision 2304. Release date was 13.3.2002. If you upgrade your BIOS to latest revision you should have no problems.

Updates for that version

*Turn off Keyboard LED after ACPI S3/S4/S5 modes.

*Fixed ability to modify DRAM Bank when overclocked.

*Added support for hard drives up to 137GB.

*Added CPU support for forthcoming AMD processors.

*Added support for ATA-133 hard drives. ***

*** - ATA-133 clarification: This does not add ability to use ATA-133 modes for hard drives. It allows the BIOS identify ATA-133 drives as being attached. Actual drive transfer modes limited by IDE controller (max ATA-100).

Last available BIOS version is from 25.04.2003

BIOS filename: 8KHI3425.BIN (5E00)

You can download it from www.epox.nl

Hi! thanks for that info MitoZ.

I have just read the review and I am not quite impressed cause the performance is lagging compared to IBM Deskstar 180GXP.

What can you recommend I will be using this for video editing. 8MB Parallel ATA 100 should be the choices however I am confused on what brand to choose from.

Any of the brands will be close performing w/ the ATA 100 8MB cache drives over 120GB... maxtor, WD, IBM... take your pick.. buy on warranty, price, and loudness...

Hi!

I just bought a Samsung SP80 160Gig with 8MB cache.

After trying it for a while as a secondary disk I found it to feel faster than my Atlas 10kIII drive. So I moved my Atlas to server and left Samsung alone in my primary machine. Feels at least as fast as with Atlas now.

The drive is even quieter than Seagate ATA IV I have in another machine.

And last but surely not least Samsung offers 3 years of warranty.

Personally I can't find a single reason to buy something other than Samsung at the moment. If you have, please enlighten me ;)