Darking

Moving a Compaq 5300 controller

I was wondering if its possible to move a array controller from one PCI bus to another (a 64bit/33mhz to a 64/66mhz) without damaging the arrays on the controller.

The system is a Compaq DL580 G1, running windows 2000 advanced server.

Will there occur any problems doing the operation? I mainly want it to run smoothly because its running the business CRM program and id like that to work after the operation ;)

Darking

It should work. Unless perhaps it's on one of those dedicated PCI-slots some (older) ProLiants had. If the card is a full controller you shold not have any trouble moving it. If it's a card that merely activates a RAID function on the system board you're probably SOL.

Check with HPaq to be sure.

Why would you move the controller BTW? If it's in the slot where Compaq says it should be, it'll be fine there.

Well first of all compaq didnt set it up, rather our server provider did, and i dont have very good experiences with their setup of hardware.. honestly i think its a mistake that its in the slot its in atm.

Secondly running a big controller like the 5300 series with 18 disks attached in a slower bus than its rated at, i personally find stupid.

Its a real controller: Smart array 5304/128

And yes it should remeber the arrays, its not so much that, im more worried about windows plug and playing the controller as a new device(since it changes slot), and renaming all my drives!!

But your right, i should check with HP before i do anything.

Darking

There's no hardware reason to think you may run in to issues. The concern you've expressed is OS related, so if you need to check with someone, talk to Microsoft.

FYI, I've done what you're proposing before without any problems.

If I'm not mistaken (you really should check with somebody else though...) NT signs it's disks so moving them to another controller or moving the controller to another slot should not be a problem - NT will name it correclty. Most problems arise when adding or replacing controllers.