jamespetts

Fix for IBM 75GXP, 60GXP and 120GXP

In January this year, IBM made available a firmware fix for their infamous "Deathstar" (Deskstar 75GXP, 60GXP and 120GXP) series of hard drives that supposedly significantly enhances the reliability of these drives by moving the heads around when they idle.

I had posted this in another thread, but few people seem to have known about it, so I posted it here, too.

Anyone who has one of those drives should download the firmware update immediately to reduce the risk of hard drive failure and data loss.

The link to the firmware update is here.

I found this update by searching on Google for "Click of Death" and "75GXP", and found this web page with a detailed description of the problem, as well as a link to IBM's site.

Despite the fix evidently having been released in January, I only found the link a few days ago. Many others here do not appear to have heard of it at all. Some might rightly be concerned that such an important fix has not been publicised sooner.

I do not have statistics or any other information on how good that the fix is, but it would still seem like a good idea for anyone who has one of the affected drives to download it.

It would be very interesting to keep a record on these fora of whether any of the "fixed" drives ever exhibit the "click of death" symptoms that plagued the unfixed models.

Will people be taking unused Deskstars out of their cupboards, patching their firmware and using them again, I wonder?

Upate

I have just found that the firmware update also works on the IBM 40GV (5400rpm) drive that I was using as my backup drive.

In addition to the GXP series, therefore, anyone with a 40GV should also apply this update.

Unindentified firmware...

I have an IBM-DTLA-307030 drive (a 30GB 75(60?)GXP), and the HDDrive Info utility says:

"Firmware Update to OA5AA Required".

(The current firmware version says TX4OA50C)

However, in the readme file , this firmware, OA5AA isn't listed.

Only IA6AA , OA6AA and A45A is listed with URL's.

Anyone has the same problem ?

In January this year, IBM made available a firmware fix for their infamous "Deathstar" (Deskstar 75GXP, 60GXP and 120GXP) series of hard drives that supposedly significantly enhances the reliability of these drives by moving the heads around when they idle.

I don't think this update is for the 120GXP.

When I run the program, my 120GXP is detected, but it says "You are neither using a IBM DTLA nor an IBM IC35AVER hard disc drive. No further action is required."

So it's only for the 75GXP and 60GXP drives.

This is the 2nd firmware update I'm aware of for the 75gxp.

ASFAIK the drives have always done the head sweeping thing.

One rumour I saw before the 1st update was that Data was being Erased by error during one of these house keeping routines.

I posted this link before

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/disques.htm

(mostly French)

in English

http://translate.google.com/translate?sour...2Fdisques%2Ehtm

Has a good collection of Firmware for a lot of drives (and a lot fo IBM) you need to check the whole pgae though.

Even has the newer 180GXP Firmware...

It's a site too bookmark, if ever you need an elusive driver for some unknown or old component as well as the new...

Thanks. I had to patch a couple drives at work and some at home. All of these are in a 24/7/365 setup. I never turm my pcs off. Sometimes it is months (or years) in between reboots...

I keep getting a "404" error when trying to d/l firmware revision 0A6AA

"pz2z18us.exe" for my DeskStar DTLA 307030.

Any other sources for that upgrade?

It's ~ 2MB as I recall.

Thanks.

I just downloaded all 3 patches in case the link disappears at some point.

The links above are working fine right now.

I updated the firmware on a NEC-branded DTLA-307020 with no problems. I did notice the firmware update resets all SMART counters to 0...

Thanks guys. :D

I finally used WS_FTP and got to the IBM ftp site (207.25.253.40) and from there worked my way to /pc/pcccbbs/netvista_drivers - scrolled to "pz2z18us.exe" and got the file.

I am running Proxomitron but even with that bypassed the link gave me a "404" error.

Updated one of my two 60GXP:s to firmware A45A. No sweat. Then went on to the next one (a replacement 60GXP), but then the utility refused to update it. Noticed that it had firmware A46A. Did a quick google and found that there seems to be both a Generic A46A firmware available as well as a Dell A46A firmware. The Dell firmware was readily available for download and I tried to update my A45A drive with it, but it refused. My question: Does anyone here know a place to download the Generic A46A firmware?

Yeah, this sucks. I *know* my drive is a Deskstar 60GXP, but my model # slightly differs from the supported model #'s in this firmware update.

Supported Model #: IC35L0xxAVER07

My Model #: IC35L0xxAVVA07

It's a 60GB 7200 RPM ATA100 drive.

Anybody got an idea why mine isn't supported? As of lately, one of my drives (I have 3) has started making this weird sound. It isn't a 'click' sound, but more like a pinging sound (Imaging hitting two forks together). I removed my 40GB Maxtor drive, and I'm still hearing it. My PC is on 24/7, and the other two drives are my 1200JB and my 60GXP.

Is that the noise the 60GXP's make?

Yeah, this sucks.  I *know* my drive is a Deskstar 60GXP, but my model # slightly differs from the supported model #'s in this firmware update.

Supported Model #: IC35L0xxAVER07

My Model #: IC35L0xxAVVA07

It's a 60GB 7200 RPM ATA100 drive.

The AVVA is a 120GXP.

This firmware update is only for 75GXP and 60GXP(AVER) drives.

AFAIK, there are no firmware updates for the 120GXP yet.

Maybe because the newer version contains no noticable improvements in reliability.. or has been less tested...

Don't forget that some of these drives are getting old... i got my 75GXPs over 3 years ago... many people are probably using firmware older than A45A.

I've got both an IC35L060AVER07-0 and an IBM-DTLA-307045 drive.

Got both downloads for the two drives and updated the DTLA drive with no problems.

But the IC35 drive, which is indicated by the HDD Drive Information tool to need an update to A45A firmware, does not get updated by the firmware update diskette. It just says, "No drive found that needs a firmware update"

Anyone else run into this problem?

Quick question: How do we identify and upgrade firmeware on a raid array? Since my drives are not on an IDE channel they're not recognized. I don't want to lose my array by switching to an IDE setup for ID and upgrade.

Darn, I can't update my 15GB 75GXP.

2003/09/03 14:04,PIKPALAK,Firmware Update to DA5AA Required,IBM-DTLA-307015,YFDYFH65490,TX2DA50C - reported by their hdd drive information

drive: DLTA-397015

current firmware: TX2 DA50C

required firmware: DA5AA

The drive is setup as secondary master on a i865PE mainboard. Only one WD as primary master besides the IBM.

The thing is I have tried to update it and I got the following message: "No drive found that needs a firmware update". I don't get it. I tried three more firmware updates (including one which is from 2001) and none of them worked (same message like before). Help. I would really like to update the darn 75GXP.