Davin

A Revised Look at Serial ATA Performance

We recently hit a strange anomaly when pairing Western Digital's Caviar WD2500JD with the Promise SATA150 TX4 controller found in our testbed. To fix the problem, we had to update the host adapter's bios and driver. As a result, to compare results from the WD2500JD as well as other upcoming SATA drives fairly with older SATA drives, already-reviewed units had to be put back to the test. Read on to see how the controller's new software affects SATA drive performance.

Setting a New Standard - A Revised Look at Serial ATA Performance

have you done any informal tests on an intel 865 or 875 board to see what performance differences may exist between the ich5 sata controller and the promise?

Yes, well actually if these things can vary so signifigantly with just controller firmware, it'd be nice to know the results from all the popular cards and integrated solutions.

It seems as if selecting a hard drive / controller combination for performance may turn into art, or some sort of rma ritual :wacko:

Maybe drives of the same make and model vary greatly in performance between samples :o. So in addition to all the possible controller / drive / firmware / motherboard / OS / OS Service Pack / electricity supplier / ambient temperature / regional barometric pressure combinations :blink:, you also need to test at least 15 samples of a drive, each obtained from a different supplier over a period of 6 months...

;)

I recently set up a w2k server for a client running off of a Intel S875WP1-E mb with a mirror of 120gb ATA Vs and the performance was amazing, it appeared significantly faster than my stripe of raptors at home. :o This board still uses the ich5 sata controller, but it uses an Adaptec IO bios for it, and it very seriously seemed to make a world of difference.

I was unable to run any tests as I had to ship the system out the same day, but I should have another one going out within a week or two, I'll be sure to run the gamut of tests on it as the bootup speeds and windows load really blew me away. Anyone else used one of these boards or have any experience with adaptec sata controllers?

Since controller performance seems to have a great bearing on hard drive results, do you think we could expect a shoot out of some of the more popular on board controllers, as well as, aftermarket cards?

Alot of us are using NF2 boards with SATA incorporated on the board. Should we be considering other solutions and are they cost effective?

Any opinions on a company called NetCell and their technology?

Since controller performance seems to have a great bearing on hard drive results, do you think we could expect a shoot out of some of the more popular on board controllers, as well as, aftermarket cards?

Alot of us are using NF2 boards with SATA incorporated on the board. Should we be considering other solutions and are they cost effective?

Any opinions on a company called NetCell and their technology?

I am confident that whatever direction SATA goes, it will be backward compatible for some time.

Now, if we could only get rid of IDE as easily as implied in the artice!!!