f_vo

Already 4.700.000 people infected with aids virus

In South Africa already 4,7 million people are infected with aids. Government now will provide those people with medication to fight the desease.

Any thoughts on the hows and the why's?

Someone mentioned to me yesterday that Africans will probably be the first to develop an immunity to AIDS... leaving the rest of us at a disadvantage...

Pretty tough to develop an immunity until a very large chunk of the population is killed -- generally the vast majority. I'm not sure there is a whole lot of evidence that anyone has developed any immunity; however, I'm no expert and I haven't been looking for anything on it.

I just wanted to start a topic about something that exists some 20 years already and is still expanding, Rosenberg ;)

Of course most of the infected people do get this from sex....

But as SuperC states: if the Africans are the first to develop immunity (if possible), then by that time we maybe have a cure for it, hopefully.

Someone mentioned to me yesterday that Africans will probably be the first to develop an immunity to AIDS... leaving the rest of us at a disadvantage...

Pretty tough to develop an immunity until a very large chunk of the population is killed -- generally the vast majority. I'm not sure there is a whole lot of evidence that anyone has developed any immunity; however, I'm no expert and I haven't been looking for anything on it.

Besides, the AIDS virus mutates so fast that being "immune" to one or several virus strains would be of only limited usefulness. I'm not sure it's possible to develop an immunity to the more "general" function of the virus.

The cold and flu have been around for a zillion years, and no signifigant population has yet developed an imminity to them... HIV is a virus, No viral disease has ever been cured. (cold, flu ect) thier can be effective treatments... but lets face facts here. You get this, and you're going to need medical care for the rest of your life. (of some manner, perhaps in time, a better treatment will develop).

No chance of immunity to HIV?

http://www.aegis.com/news/newsday/1998/ND980701.html

Time to think again....

I wonder why there isn't (wasn't) more press about these studies? Is it because none of them have yet made much reported progress in actually finding a way to combat the disease?

The fact remains that developing a genetic immunity (and not all those "immune" were so for genetic reasons) to the virus would require most of the rest of the population to die (that's how bacteria develop genetic resistance to antibiotics -- most or all the bacteria population that is NOT immune to the effects of an antibiotic are killed, and unable to reproduce).

Besides that, I'm not really sure what kind of "advantage" would be gained through immunity to HIV. It just means that they would be roughly even with 1st world countries in terms of the spread of a single disease, which we partially control via education and behavioral changes.