dave.nyc

Beware HyperMicro

I realize that HyperMicro is a supporter of StorageReview.com, but I feel that anyone considering buying a hard drive from them should beware of something that happened to me...

Last December, uBid.com had what was supposed to be a new IBM OEM Ultrastar SCSI SCA drive. It was 36 gig and I got it for a very good price, given that it was an SCA drive.

When the drive arrived, I was in a hurry and just put it in the CRU Inc removable cartridge that I use for SCSI drives. Over the next five months the drive got minimal use and was not even powered up much of the time.

In May, after having used it very little, the drive failed. I contacted HGST, since they acquired IBM's hard drive division and the tech and I agreed that it was probably a problem with the boot sector, and he emailed me a utility that he thought would fix it. However, the utility refused to deal with the drive, reporting that it was "not an IBM drive."

The tech then asked me to remove the cartridge and look at the drive and read me the serial number. When I did, he pointed out that nowhere on the drive did it say "IBM" or "OEM". He indicated that this drive was never meant for PC use and as such was in no way identified as an IBM, even at the firmware level, and that to sell this drive in any way was fraudulent, especially selling it as an "IBM drive".

I contacted uBid, who said that they had aquired it from HyperMicro and that warranty service should be through HperMicro. I repeated what the HGST tech had told me, and the uBid rep assured me that HyperMicro had represented these drives as IBM OEM drives.

I returned the drive to uBid to prove that the drive wasn't identified in any way as an IBM drive and they immediately credited me for the cost of the drive. However, they did so only after I told them that refunding me the cost of the drive was far less expensive than any legal repercussions from fraudulent sales.

You purchased the drive from Ubid.com not Hypermicro. I have purchased many SCSI drives from Hypermicro and they were what I purchased. I registered the Seagate drives and Seagate did replace one of them because of a noise problem.

If the drive was new, why didn't you register it with IBM immediately on installation? I usually inspect the label and write down the model, firmware, lot, etc from the drive before installing. I rather buy retail drives than OEM to make sure I get warrenty coverage. You tried a shortcut with Ubid and OEM drives and got what you deserved.

i have heard of such drives in the open market; generally speaking, if it's really cheap and listed as ibm, it generally means it's unsupported.

IBM/HGST OEM drives are unmarked and come with absolutely no support or warranty from them. I think that this is pretty well known.

As with any OEM hardware, any support or warranty comes from the seller, not the manufacturer.

Sounds like a problem with ubid, not Hypermicro.

On the topic of OEM drives, I've found with all the current rebates it's often cheaper to buy a retail drive.

Given the mixed reponse to my original posting, I should make a few comments, perhaps:

1) If one doesn't believe me, then there's perhaps nothing I can add, though I do have a scanned image of the label on the drive. But issues of faith can hardly be addressed through rational discourse.

2) I certainly agree that uBid should have made sure that the drives that they were selling were what they represented them to be on their web site. Does this, however, absolve HyperMicro's responsibility for misrepresenting them to uBid? I should also add that when I contacted HyperMicro about this they did not in any way deny that they had sold the drives to uBid represented as IBM OEM drives.

3) IBM OEM drives *do* have the words IBM and OEM on their labels and they are warrantied for one year from purchase, regardless of whether they have been registered. I have used IBM OEM drives for several years.

4) My main point was not that it might not be wiser or cheaper to purchase a retail drive, preferably with a 3-yr warranty, nor that uBid was blameless. Nor did I suggest that in all cases HyperMicro had behaved unethically or illegally. Nonetheless, both the rep at HM and the rep at uBid agree that HM had represented these drives as IBM OEM drives. And they were not.

5) Those people who have had positive experiences with HyperMicro will and should no doubt continue to deal with them. Perhaps my experience was an anomoly. Perhaps not.

I have bought many drives Hypermicro over the years. I have never had a problem with them in any way. I would recomend them to anyone.

Since uBid advertised the drive and sold the drive the accountability really lies with them. They should have checked the drives they received from Hyper Micro or any other supplier to be certain what they received and if not happy, return them, not advertise them as IBM drives if they are not.

I find it hard to believe there isn't some I.D. on the drive to determine what brand/model it is. I also find it difficult to believe Hyper Micro is selling no name drives to uBid unless this was some "special" as in gray market drives or something that show up from time-to-time in the marketplace. If that were the case then uBid should have made it clear exactly what they were selling, what warranty IF any it had as most gray market products only have a warranty in the market they were mfg.'ed/sold for, etc. I believe uBid is responsible for your problems not Hyper Micro. That's my take.

you're all failing to realize that there are 2 definitions of OEM. with most any product (aside from HDs) OEM means it is JUST the product- no manual or CDs, or any extras in a plain white box. for HDs there is also this definition- a plain white box with a manufacturer warranty, but no retail packaging. however, go to ebay and look up compaq hard drives. they are all over the place. does compaq make their own drives?? no. are they an OEM? yes. compaq drives are often seagate or fujitsu manufactured drives with labels that look like seagates, but say compaq, and even similar model numbers.

however, when you look them up with seagate or fujitsu they will tell you your warranty is with compaq. and generally unless you have the server those drives came in it means you don't have a warranty.

Sounds like a problem with ubid, not Hypermicro.

I agree. I had bad experiences with them in the past. They sold me a pc and then sent me the wrong model and wanted me to pay the s & h to send it back... After this I stick with ebay...

UBID is Uber BAD.

use Ebay and credit card with protection. cant go wrong.

Or legit dealers. googlegear., hypermicro, newegg.com directron.

no i dont work for any of them either.

I learned the hard way about "OEM" drives.

Maxtor decided out of no where to reduce the warranty period of some "OEM" drives I bought by a full yr...

I was promptly explained to by the CSR that this is because it is an OEM drive, and they finally have the ability to track OEM drives.

She said this policy also extends to OEM drives bought from other on-line retailers. (FOR THE RECORD: Newegg and HyperMicro WERE included in the list of sites they could decide to NOT offer warranty coverage of...)

The CSR's recommendation is that I buy only RETAIL packages from authorized dealers, and gave CompUSA as an authorized retailer...

Which makes this all interesting...

I bought a retail Maxtor drive from CompUSA...

RETAIL

cont..

RETAIL package, AUTHORIZED dealer...

Maxtor has already reduced the warranty on that purchase too...

Even after purchasing per their instructions, they made an even furher reduction than "OEM" drives from non-authorized dealers!?!?!?

What gives?

Maxtor Tech Support says this should not be the case, but I get an angry response from Customer Support when I discuss getting the warranty period on the drive to match what the drive has printed on it...

So...

Remember: a warranty is only as good as those standing behind it...

Since I own close to $10K in Maxtor product, that irregardless of who/when/how I bought them, they seem to not want to properly cover by their own warranty declaration, should I give serious consideration to possible legal avenues?

you could try faxing them the upc/receipt/etc

I already did that (Per Tech's instructions...)

CS (quite literally) yelled at me when I did that though...

Besides, per Maxtor's own admission, they can already tell WHEN and WHERE the drive was bought...

When they (quite literally) yelled at me, it was obvious they weren't honoring their own declared warranty...

I can at least half way accept them doing this on mishandled junk drives through an OEM system where a drive changed hands a few times...

But a retail package from an authorized dealer?

It was very obvious CS didn't like my calls, but TS seemed to understand my beef, and said the original warranty period should continue...

Seemed almost to cause an internal squabble at Maxtor on the issue...

Though I did always find it strange that when I had Maxtor go through their records of all of the drives I had ever RMAed (to look at original warranty periods), they somehow came up with two drives that I RMAed back to them that I absolutely have never owned...

(one they suggested that I had RMAed back to them actually got a laugh out of me, as I told them quite bluntly: "Maxtor has never manufactured a drive of that size." Shouldn't that fact have raised a flag to them that something is wrong with their system, instead of causing the CSR to raise their voice at me?)

But my point is valid: A warranty is only as good as those standing behind it.

CS (quite literally) yelled at me when I did that though...

most support houses record their calls - ask to speak with their sup immediately after that and report them.

sorry to hear about your foul experience. thankfully, i've had nothing but great service from maxtor the rare times i've had one of their drives crash on me. i would suspect that submitting something in writing (certified letter) will get you a lot further.

First I never ever had a problem with Hypermicro. Actually they took back an JBOD and disks that worked like crap even after the return date.

I once met a person from IBM that said IBM doesn't support OEM disks. Some manufacturers do. It all depends on the compnay.

Yes, This may have been discussed before, but it is the main reason I refuse to do business with Hypermicro and will never refer anyone to them.

I jumped in on the IBM 36Z15 Drive deal (w/Free LSI Controller) last year from Hypermicro. When I received the Hard Drive, it too had no identifing drive string, and did not indicate IBM/OEM on the drive label. No matter I thought, I got it from Hypermicro. Well, the drive failed in March. IBM/Hitachi told me that the drive was not covered under warranty, and was never intended for integration into PC's. (I have a copy of that in writing if anyone needs it)

I tried to get an RMA from Hypermicro, and I am still waiting...... Luckly I used my Visa to buy the drive, so I just filed a claim with the Visa Extended warranty program, and received a Refund.

So my recomendation, based on my own experience is to STAY FAR FROM HYPERMICRO

you're all failing to realize that there are 2 definitions of OEM.

Yep, that's correct.

Lots of "OEM" drives out there which still retain the manufacturer's warranty complete with manufacturer's labeling. Most of the OEM drives we buy are these, and they retain the 1-year or 5-year warranties.

There are also OEM drives specifically made for other OEMs. I've seen lots of drives-- in this example let me use Seagate-- who sells drives for OEMs, and do not provide a warranty themselves to the end user on these drives. If the Seagate drive inside your box is marked "OEM use only contact your OEM for warranty support" then you can bet Seagate isn't gonna support you when you contact them on the phone...

you're all failing to realize that there are 2 definitions of OEM.

Yep, that's correct.

Lots of "OEM" drives out there which still retain the manufacturer's warranty complete with manufacturer's labeling. Most of the OEM drives we buy are these, and they retain the 1-year or 5-year warranties.

There are also OEM drives specifically made for other OEMs. I've seen lots of drives-- in this example let me use Seagate-- who sells drives for OEMs, and do not provide a warranty themselves to the end user on these drives. If the Seagate drive inside your box is marked "OEM use only contact your OEM for warranty support" then you can bet Seagate isn't gonna support you when you contact them on the phone...

I had this exact issue with compaq and Western Digital..

Bare drives that are sold to computer resellers, (your local computer builder store) are actually called "white box" drives, while big name retailers like future shop, best buy, ect get 'retail' boxes...