DaveH

How tell platter size for WD400BB ?

This WD 40 gig 7200 rpm drive has been selling for over a year now. I'm guessing that the platter sizes have increased since its release, while number of platters has shrunk...

But the WD website doesn't indicate this, still says 4 platters. And I don't know how to make out what exactly is inside this drive...

Maxtor, OTOH, makes this easy with their model numbers.

It's a WD400BB-75DEA0 , Manuf date July 7 2003.

TIA for any help, Dave

This WD 40 gig 7200 rpm drive has been selling for over a year now.  I'm guessing that the platter sizes have increased since its release, while number of platters has shrunk...

But the WD website doesn't indicate this, still says 4 platters.  And I don't know how to make out what exactly is inside this drive...

TIA for any help, Dave

I rather doubt it's a four-platter drive. WD hasn't made one since the Expert line back in 1998 or so. I'm inclined to think it's a single-platter drive now, though I am unsure if it's the 40 GB/platter density, the 60 GB/platter, or the newest 80 GB/platter (unlikely, but possible).

This WD 40 gig 7200 rpm drive has been selling for over a year now.  I'm guessing that the platter sizes have increased since its release, while number of platters has shrunk...

But the WD website doesn't indicate this, still says 4 platters.  And I don't know how to make out what exactly is inside this drive...

TIA for any help, Dave

This WD 40 gig 7200 rpm drive has been selling for over a year now.

Well over a year...a few years is more like it.

I'm guessing that the platter sizes have increased since its release, while number of platters has shrunk...

I heard a year back they started using 80GB platters in some of the WD400BB drives.

But the WD website doesn't indicate this, still says 4 platters.

It says 2, which would mean 2 20GB platters. Definitely outdated information. I'm guessing they switched to using 1 40GB platter a while back, and are using anywhere from 40-80GB platters now.

And I don't know how to make out what exactly is inside this drive...

And WD isn't very forthcoming on how to identify the exact specs of a particular drive. Every time I ask, they just tell me the extended model # is confidential and link me to the outdated specs.

Agreed. And their 40GB models have FDB motors and are much quieter.

WD has not been very forthcoming in giving this type of info...

but if you have the drive, you usually can tell which platter capacity you have by checking the sequential transfer rate (almost any benchmark will do).

A WD 40 GB/platter should be close to 49 MB/s, while a WD 20 GB/platter will only get you about 34 MB/s. As a comparison, the 80 GB/platter (modern) drive gets you over 55 MB/s

If you can't test the drive, you have to ask a WD insider

Yéti

the only place i have heard of the 80GB platters from WD are on the largest drives and on the 800JB (that is JB, this topic deals with BB)

I haven't even heard of the 400bb/jb, 600bb/jb or 800BB using anything other than 40GB platters lately.

Emperical results of looking at WD's extended model number information would seem to suggest that that is a 60GB platter in there. From my personal experences over the years of trying to keep an eye on this on my own, the third digit on that extension seems to indicate platter size:

A = 20GB platter(s)

B = 30GB? platter(s)

C = 40GB platter(s)

D = 60GB platter(s)

E = 80GB platter(s)

F = 80GB platter(s) w/FDB

Yep. It's a 60 GB/platter drive.

I came to the same conclusion Nogib did as well -- that the third digit in the extended model numbers indicate the platter size: linky

Here's a response BWM got from WD in April 2002:

The following is straight from WD:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital. You can tell if the drive has 40 GB per platter by looking at the tenth character in the model number. Example:

WD400BB-XXDEA0

The "WD400BB" part indicates the drive is a 40 GB 7200 RPM ATA-100 drive.

The "XX" can be any combination of two numbers and is not important.

The "D" indicates the drive is a 40 GB per platter.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Regards,

Steve W.

Customer Service and Support

Western Digital

http://www.wdc.com

Well there's one way to find out: DaveH, do an STR benchmark on the sucker with HDTach or ZDBench.

A belated thank-you for all the replies! I just now had the chance to read the answers...

The inconsistent evidence is surprising. The drive I asked about is already gone, so I wouldn't be able to test it...but any additional evidence that clears this up would be most appreciated. :)