housewares

Plextor PX-708A: shipping?

If you want SCSI then buy an IDE->SCSI bridge chip. It's undoubtedly what Plex would use if they ever produced another SCSI device. Witness TDK.

"(housewares @ Aug 6 2003, 10:01 AM)

Anyone seen it in the wild yet? Or possibly have one on the way via FedEx?

Plextor dual format DVD burner

Announced last week; goes to 8x (for +R of course--4x on +RW)"

I have seen an announcement at Akihabara here in Tokyo. The PX-708A can be pre-ordered for Yen 35K (approx. US$300) delivery by mid-September. So far only one store has this.

FYI.

B)

Addonics IDE to SCSI bridges requires an Addonics SCSI adapter. They state it would probably not work properly with the Plextor drives. Already, talk to them about it. Plextor stated end of September on the drives in the US.

You can use IDE->SCSI bridges with any SCSI controller. Do you always believe what a manufacturer says? And there is more than one bridge board manufacturer. And yes, some have trouble with ATAPI devices, you need to get one that is compatible.

Acard makes them and Addonics and other change the firmware for their SCSI adapters to work with the IDE-SCSI bridge. You would have to use it with certain ATAPI devices. Not worth taking the chance with the Plextor PX-708A. I will probably get the PX-708UF, when released in the US. I would not want to have any problems using this technology. I am going to get a USB2/Firewire duo adapter.

Wholesale in Switzerland for a retail PX-708A is listed as about $270, $10-15 less for OEM. This is a 30% premium over the 4x NEC ND-1300A, which I believe also has a 2 year warranty.

I am a fan of Plextors, but will go with the NEC as even the PX-708A will be obsolete in a year's time.

It is obsolete when it no longer does what is was purchased to do.

Hehe... I still have HP 7200i on my older system. Works nicely, but somehow I had to force PIO in WinXP to get it burning (in Win9x I had to use DMA to get it work). XP doesn't really recognise it as a burner though; no IMAPI support (if somebody ever uses IMAPI...)

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks for the link. I was looking at a sony 500A but this is much better. However like another poster I have an all SCSI rig so I would prefer SCSI but I know that it will be a very hard find these days...

PX-708 shipped to day for about US$330 post free. Can write to selected DVD+R 4x media at 8x including Mitsubishi Chemical (Verbatim), Ricoh and Taiyo Yuden. Black bezel model costs Yen 1500 more (plus tax).

Actual 8x +R media available from Ricoh by month-end as well. On a side note, NEC has announced a new drive with 8x DVD+/-R capability. The DVD Forum has no present standards for DVD-R media tho.

Cheers.

:ph34r:

On a side note, NEC has announced a new drive with 8x DVD+/-R capability.

Come on!! Why the manufacturers use only 2 MB buffer? Cost-cutting from the wrong place. Those cheap SoBs... [Read my posts in this thread...]

Well, I quess I can (and will, as there is no 8x-certified media yet) burn @ 4x. I'm in no hurry, plus Plextor (and I think that NEC uses the same HW) does burn in CLV-more only up to 4x speed.

I'm buying a drive soon, and I think I'm going for the Plex, unless NEC etc. will have a lot lower price (PX-708A is currently ~280 Euros here).

Cheers,

Jan

ETA for the PX-708 keeps getting postponed here...

I just got a NEC for ~160 Euros, a fair discount over the faster Plextor IMHO.

I will NEVER buy any product from Plextor ever again.

They used to be the best you could buy when it came to optical drives, but my own experience has been that they are manufacturing TOTAL CRAP these days.

Sure, the drives will work fine for a year or two. Then suddenly the unit will fail, and you'll be left with a piece of trash you were suckered into paying a premium for. With Plextor it's clear that you pay for the name, not any semblance of quality.

Have I mentioned I will never buy from Plextor again?

I foolishly bought one of their SCSI Ultrawide CD-ROM drives about 3 years ago. After only light usage and being handled with care (I wanted it to be the last CD-ROM drive I ever bought ... so I went with the "best" name, paid a premium for it, and treated it well) it died after 2 years. Occasionally it would start blinking an error code sequence, but more often than not it would just randomly start spinning up while making a seriously ill-sounding noise, then eventually just shutting itself off.

I also bought a Plextor 12/4/32 SCSI CDRW drive around the same time (~3 years ago). And now, after about a year of seeing occasional quirks (and convincing myself that they were just flukes), this drive has died a miserable death also. This past week I could no longer access the drive, and it started displaying an error code of 9 flashes. I tried the two suggestions on the Plextor website (both variations on, "try turning it off") but neither helped. What a surprise.

I can't believe I was suckered into paying so much extra for these two pieces of junk.

Save your money - don't be suckered by the name. Plextor is living off a dying legacy.

I will NEVER buy any product from Plextor ever again.

They used to be the best you could buy when it came to optical drives, but my own experience has been that they are manufacturing TOTAL CRAP these days.

Sure, the drives will work fine for a year or two.  Then suddenly the unit will fail, and you'll be left with a piece of trash you were suckered into paying a premium for.  With Plextor it's clear that you pay for the name, not any semblance of quality.

Actually, any of my CD drives hasn't lasted for longer than two years back when I used them heavily. At first I had the famous Mitsumi FX 400, then Creative 8x, Creative 36x (this is the worst PoS CD drive I've ever seen), Toshiba 40x & 48x. I changed Toshiba 40x for 48x (warranty), and few months later changed the 48x for an Asus 50x drive (warranty again, because the 48x didn't have working SP/DIF out). Asus still works (on my older computer), but got replaced by Asus DVD-E616. The 50x Asus just gave some read errors when I installed XP, maybe it dies soon too... I haven't really even used the Asus DVD drive much (future-proofing, as I'm going to get a DVD burner soon).

Most CD/DVD drives have MTBF of 50000 hours, hard drives have at least 300000. Hard drives last 6-10 years. You do the math...

Burners have lasted better, I have HP 7200i and Plextor 8432A, and both still work. I think they still work mainly because I have used them only to read disc images for burning, and for burning, of course.

Cheers,

Jan

Our enterprise server is 100% SCSI. We're looking for an SCSI DVD burner...

Our web / pro server is 100% SCSI (and RAID). We're looking for a series of SCSI DVD burners for it (cheap backup solution)

my personal PC is 100% SCSI. I'd buy a SCSI DVD Burner anytime, at any cost.

Screw the ATA sh*t Plextor, there is STILL a market for SCSI !!

Then you probably want a Pioneer DVD Authoring drive, SCSI all the way and only a few thousand dollars.

Well, I ordered the PX-708A last night. It got here today while I was at work. Gotta love local vendors that happen to be near a UPS depot. ;)

I paid about $280 shipped.

I'm still hoping Plextor will release a SCSI version, but I've been itching to get into archiving old tapes to DVD.

Initial impressions from opening the box:

Bear in mind I haven't hooked the drive up yet, as I'm tired and I won't work on my machines tired again if I can help it. This being the case, it's a pretty superfical overview.

Usual heft I'm used to from Plextor drives, though not as heavy as my 40X SCSI Plextor CD-R/W.

Bezel is more grey than cream/white compared to my other Plextor drives (8, I think), and the usual blue logo is dark grey. Like the black accent.

The box is Red, again, a departure from wht I'm used to from Plextor. Not a big deal, but going from the big white box to the big blue box to the smaller red box is to me, worth mentioning.

Included in the package asides from the drive of course are the standard emergency ejection tool (an L shaped metal rod so you don't need to find a paperclip), 4 screws, 1 jumper, manual & quick reference card, Plextor utilities CD, ATA-33 IDE cable, and 1 Plextor branded DVD+R blank.

That last item wrankles me a bit. With previous drives, you got 1 CD-R, and one CD-RW, basically all you need to try out all the functionality of the drive. With this drive, you get the one blank. Now I'm not looking for one of each type of recordable media, but it would have been nice to get a DVD-R blank as well. Still, all told it's a nice package.

Now I need to get some blank discs and test this thing out. :)

Let us know how it works :)

Regarding the bezel's new colors, these are the new Plextor corporate colors on all new models, including the PX-116A DVD-ROM and the PX-W5224TA CD-RW.

The latter also comes with a downgraded bundle (Nero Express instead of Nero 5.5, no blanks instead of the previous 5+1) and a smaller box.

As mentioned above, Plextor certainly has been cutting costs, understandable as many people will not pay more than twice as much for a Plextor CD-RW than most others. That said, my older, made-in-Nagano Plextors (still have fully functional 4x, 8x, and 12x SCSI burners) are certainly superior in build to the current made-in-China ones.

Ah, thanks for the info on the logo.

I'm at work now, so no testing yet. I'll verify when I get home, but I can think that this drive appears to come out of Nagano.

My other Plextor burners (4x, 12, & 40x SCSI, and 12 & 16x ATAPI) are all still going strong, as well; my Ultraplex CD-ROMs still rip better than any other drives I've used.

Actually the only non-Plextor burner I have is a 24x Samsung I picked up at a fair for I think $35 a couple years ago. Works well enough as a spare drive.

One more update before I stick this thing in. It was made in China, not Japan.

Ah well, off to burn some data. ;)

Hey, all:

I just recently got my PX-708A from Plextor, and I have to say, I'm impressed! The fastest drive I know. Also, they just dropped the price (I paid $249 retail). Yeah, it only came with one DVD (4X), but I just found out that you can burn 8X on their recommended 4X media. So, waiting for 8X media is a null topic.

Software is great, performance is outstanding. Once again, Plextor hits the mark!

I also just bought a slick little unit from Plextor called ConvertX. Its a digital video convertor that comes with Win DVD Creator from InterVideo. It took me 15 minutes to set up and I was making home videos direct from old VHS tapes. You can hook it up directly to your VCR or camcorder and convert your files to digital. I then edited my clips, added transitions, music, titles, everything you need! I burned a few movies of my kids direct to my PX-708A. What a bundle.

ConvertX ran me $179 retail. I've been told that by using the MPEG 4 technology that ConvertX uses, I can do a direct data dump of old VHS tapes and get 10 hours on 1 DVD. Amazing! Definitely worth the money!