Sign in to follow this  
logicprobe

Help deciding replacement for 15K Cheetah for XP

Hi All,

I'm running WinXP with one of the first editions of the 15K RPM Seagate Cheetah drive.

I never had a SCSI drive before this one and I have been rather unimpressed by the performance. For example, watching file copies on my Western Digital drive beat the pants off the Cheetah, and having very average bootup times. Maybe the performance gains are in areas I'm not aware of, I dunno. But I did get into some detailed discussions on these forums earlier this year about some kind of flaw in XP that doesn't let SCSI drives perform at their optimal levels.

Anyway, if I dump this SCSI drive, what would be the fastest drive to replace it with? I have a Asus board which supports the serial ATA. I was thinking of that new Raptor drive. What do you think?

Thanks much for any comments.

The raptor is a fine drive, and is a bargain compared to the 15kRPM SCSI drives

The raptor is a fine drive, and is a bargain compared to the 15kRPM SCSI drives

i must disagree

the atlas 4 beats a raptor and is about 10 bux more expensive

you can feel the difference between an atlas 4 vs a raptor (though the responsiveness is due to SCSI)

(though the responsiveness is due to SCSI)

With all due respect, what responsiveness? Command-tagged queing? Low CPU utilisation? Higher bandwidth?

With all due respect, what responsiveness? Command-tagged queing? Low CPU utilisation? Higher bandwidth?

i'm no insulted, but thank you for the respect

SCSI seems responsive, ie if I'm doing heavy I/O I notice the SCSI drives are more responsive than IDE