Sign in to follow this  
EdT

Should I Keep XP Pro ?

So I still have 27 days left before the activation ceases XP function, should I stick with XP or get Windows 2000 Pro ? I don't like thee idea of XP's 1.5gig install and activation scheme, so who is going to activate XP in 5 years when Mikeysoft doesn't support it anymore ? are we going to be be stuck with time limited editons of OS from now on ???

Well, I think everyone can agree that microsoft isn't going anywhere. And considering their increased sales numbers after starting activation, I don't think that system is going anywhere, either. 1.5gig is nothing on a modern system, and of you have an old system, run 98SE. Activation is no big deal, I go through it "the hard way" at least twice a day and never have any issues.

If your concern is obsolescence, MS will undoubtedly stop supporting Win2k several years before they stop supporting XP. Personally, I prefer Win2k. I regret having 'upgraded' to XP.

If MS decides to stop supporting re-activation 5 years down the road, you can just follow the existing documented paths for circumventing activation. I do not condone piracy, but if MS stopped supporting your product I think the bypass would be justified. To be honest, though, I expect that they will have to continue supporting re-activations as that's probably going to be a part of every MS OS from now on.

Every OS is a 'time limited edition' to some extent. New hardware and software forces the issue, upgrades are made to the OS, and older versions aren't able to support new products.

Every OS is a 'time limited edition' to some extent.  New hardware and software forces the issue, upgrades are made to the OS, and older versions aren't able to support new products.

exactly. What were you running five years ago?

apart from the activation issue, which do you prefer?

Having implemented a more aggressive form of activation on some products of my own, there are many ways for MS to deal with activation on EOL products.

1) Simply make the server "approve" everything, you lose any revenue...but don't need individuals to maintain the system.

2) Offer an "update" to products at their EOL that removes activation.

3) Pull the plug on the activation servers and force less creative people to upgrade. This is a very appealing option. Besides the added revenue, it would prevent the "I'm running WFW 3.11 and have a problem" calls. You got 5 years out of your software lease, what do you want, a cookie ;)

If your concern is obsolescence, MS will undoubtedly stop supporting Win2k several years before they stop supporting XP.

Actually, not quite. The end of life (look at the bottom right) for Windows 2000 is March 31, 2008. For XP Home, it's December 31, 2007, and for XP Pro, it's December 31, 2009.

Also, from another page:

Q.  Do these Windows Desktop Product Life-Cycle Guidelines affect how long I can legally use a Microsoft operating system once I've licensed it?

A.  No, these guidelines only impact new license availability in certain channels and product support policies, not an end-user's ability to use a Windows desktop operating system once they've legally licensed it. However, the longer you use an operating system, the less likely you will be able to take advantage of software and hardware advances that over time become mainstream in personal computers, devices, and software applications.

just do a google search for the trick to tell xp to stop phoning home. Product activation period is an abuse of customer rights and another example of an abusive monopoly at work. I only wish someone would ddos the activation server and teach Uncle bill a lesson.

Why are people STILL asking this question? I mean, it was a cool question to ask a year ago. No one wants to rush to install an MS OS before Service Pack 1 comes out, unless you really feel the need to be first on your block. But that was a heck of a long time ago, SP 1a is out now, and the whole activation issue has been beaten to death.

Win 2000 Pro only makes sense IF you have internally developed software that is OS version specific, OR if you are running mission critical servers that need a slightly higher reliability gained from more years of debugging, OR if you have some piece of hardware that is still missing an XP driver that you can't/won't replace. There do exist the latter, but they are very rare presently.

Everyone else should just stop whining about activation and use XP IMHO...

Future Shock

...or read the license they love to complain about

you are entitled to legally run windows 2000 instead of xp pro if you own a copy. all you have to do is obtain the media.

as far as the eol stuff, nt has been extended a million times, win2k has been extended, xp probably will too.

you only need to activate once. you can save the file out of system32 and pop it back in if you do a clean install. stop whining.

Why are people STILL asking this question?  I mean, it was a cool question to ask a year ago.  No one wants to rush to install an MS OS before Service Pack 1 comes out, unless you really feel the need to be first on your block.  But that was a heck of a long time ago, SP 1a is out now, and the whole activation issue has been beaten to death.

Win 2000 Pro only makes sense IF you have internally developed software that is OS version specific, OR if you are running mission critical servers that need a slightly higher reliability gained from more years of debugging, OR if you have some piece of hardware that is still missing an XP driver that you can't/won't replace.  There do exist the latter, but they are very rare presently.

Everyone else should just stop whining about activation and use XP IMHO...

Future Shock

My ATi TV wonder has never worked as good in XP... ::pout:: ::pout::

It wasn't until only a few months ago that final relase drivers for XP were even available. -That's pretty bad for a generic tuner sold by atleast 20 other companies that got it right only a few months after the release of winXP.

It wasn't until only a few months ago that final relase drivers for XP were even available. -That's pretty bad for a generic tuner sold by atleast 20 other companies that got it right only a few months after the release of winXP.

Mine works fine

http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I'm not sure if this is a commentary on XP or the pitiful state of ATi's driver development team. Wait a second, as the owner of an ATi Radeon AIW, I think I'm leaning towards the latter...damned thing caused me driver problems under both 2000 and XP...

Future Shock

downgrade to 2k? you mean upgrade.

XP is a n00bie operating system. all the "functionality" and "user-friendly" stinker pisses me off.. its all just a waste of time.

in essence, winXP is a slightly tweaked win2k with a shitty looking skin pack.

im running win2k adv server on my machine, as well as having 2 machines running windows 2000 pro and 2 running XP pro. the XP machines have been nuttin but trouble, but my stupid sisters like the thing.

n00bies and their operating systems.

as for the activation? kazaa has the answer.. or astalavista.box.sk

if you bought it legally, then activation is happy fellowing nothing. if you were stupid and burnt a copy without knowing there was a crack.. then ur stupid..

win2k is the way to go. its more stable, less annoying, and has an all round better feel to it IMHO.

all OSes run out of time. its in MS's best interests to have it run out, so that you hafta go and buy a new one. if XP runs out in 5 years, so what? most people now dont kep their computers for 5 years, let alone not upgrade their operating system.

XP isnt without its merits tho. its bootup time is faster (install 2k, then XP, then uninstall XP, and 2k should boot same time as XP :P)

the built in driver base is kinda helpful when u just wanna happy fellow around with a digital camera and other USB stuff..

use whatever you want is what it really comes down to. hell, use NT4 or win3.11 or DOS 6.22 for all i care. as long as it does what you want it to, shuttup and quit whining..

i should stop drinking now.

/dev/

deviant, i'm using windows xp pro (legally purchased) right now, and i'm up for the pepsi challenge any time you want to want to question my 'n00bie' status. it think it's funny that you use the acronym 'imho' ('in my humble opinion') when there appears to be nary an ounce of humility in your body. this is a technical forum, not a soapbox for children to advocate software piracy.

deviant, i'm using windows xp pro (legally purchased) right now, and i'm up for the pepsi challenge any time you want to want to question my 'n00bie' status.  it think it's funny that you use the acronym 'imho' ('in my humble opinion') when there appears to be nary an ounce of humility in your body.  this is a technical forum, not a soapbox for children to advocate software piracy.

Very well said Honold.

BTW - Deviant: I'm another XP Pro (legal copy) user that will take the Pepsi challenge anytime for noobie status. I'm probably one of the very few on this board who used to make a living as a CP/M programmer using Z-80 assembler and Turbo Pascal v1.0 (1982 or 83?) ...and I'll take XP over 2000 with the three exceptions I've noted above in this thread.

Future Shock

You're welcome to torture my machine. XP and a VIA chipset. Still, rocksolid. The only problems I had were caused by me, myself and I (overclocking, messing with the registry, beta drivers).

XP is a n00bie operating system. all the "functionality" and "user-friendly" stinker pisses me off.. its all just a waste of time.

Use DOS. Or better yet, pen and paper. And patience can be played with a real deck of cards.

with a shitty looking skin pack

Disable it. It's rather easy.

im running win2k adv server on my machine

Not for a simple desktop machine I hope...?

the XP machines have been nuttin but trouble

Badly configured probably. What kind of trouble?

my stupid sisters

:rolleyes:

then activation is happy fellowing nothing

Exactly. I haven't felt WPA getting intimate when I activated XP before.

if you were stupid and burnt a copy without knowing there was a crack.. then ur stupid..

Indeed... I think "ur" stupid (shouldn't that be "st00pid" or somesuch?) for posting such things. Where did you get your license for W2K server BTW?

win2k is the way to go. its more stable, less annoying

It's not more stable and I find XP more userfriendly. Only the interface annoys me but that's easily fixed without having to hack the registry?

i should stop drinking now.

Please don't!!! You're actually quite funny.

I'm probably one of the very few on this board who used to make a living as a CP/M programmer

Hehe... You're probably one of the few people on this board who has even used CP/M. I used to go with my friends to the local Kaypro user group meetings around 1984/85. Talk about naivety regarding license issues... the group had a 'library' of floppies that members could use and copy. The primary reason to go to those meetings was to copy software, and frankly I don't think that anyone knew it was illegal. I certainly didn't, but then again, I was 10 or 11 years old.