Sign in to follow this  
qawsedrftgzxcvb

Seagate X15-36LP acting wierd

aight I have a 36GB X15-36LP

It's in a aluminum sound supressor/cooler

between the heat of 2 athlons, 1 radeon, a 460-watt PSU and a 98 degree F summer day (with no air-conditioning) my PC gets really hot

the hard drive cooling/sound supressor had a lot of dust built in on the fan and the PC got EXTREMELY hot (just enough b4 emergency shut off)

I noticed my drive reboot after i started a web browser

I figured it might just be my bad karma (don't ask)

I merrily warm rebooted and it said no OS (but my controller found the drive) and same after a cold reboot. What's wierd is the drive keeps making "scratching noises." I stuck a table fan next to the PC and waited 15min. Booted and sure enough I'm fine.

==================

the point:

it seems the X15-36LP shuts down when over 70 degreez celcius/centigrade and just won't work until it cools down, but when it's cooled down it works like noting bad ever happened

just though I'd post it here in case I ever need this small bit of info later B)

Ok....

The drive is nice and cold. Just as cold as any drive should be. It resets every so often for some reason.

What gives? This is not normal for a SCSI drive. What's wrong? :huh:

When you say "resets" do you mean that it fails?

If it just makes a buzzing sound and then wakes up after a few seconds, that is what my 36LP does when it wakes up after WinXP's power management has put it to sleep.

If you have multiple drives(I have 4, 2 Maxtor 740 DX for data, Fujitsu MAS 15 k for boot, and 36LP for games) then it is a sensible way to conserve power and reduce heat when you are just browsing the web. ;)

the drive resets and there is a buzzing sound every so often

it seems like it happens whenever the drive is under heavy use

I have the drive in a sound/heat supressor and it's only warm to the touch so I don't know why it's happening

Try disabling the HD powerdown timeout(mine is set to an hour, which I assume means no access to THAT drive for an hour). My other drives which are used for file sharing apps don't shut down as long as they have been accessed in the last hour.

This of course assumes that you are using Windows. ;)

If it still happens, perhaps there is some built in sleep mode to the 36LP?

When I had a first gen X-15 and the 36 LP together, they would each do their little "buzz" each time they got initialized. But the first gen drive would not go to sleep since it was the OS drive and I assume Windows hits it every so often whether you use it or not. At least once per hour with all the internal babysitting that's going on with XP these days.

For kicks(and to try to be helpful) I will turn off my powerdown setting and see if the 36LP still resets. :) I'll let you know.

OK just read my post again and then yours and noticed you said it happens under heavy use. Ack.

Stupid question: Is it the 36LP that's getting the heavy use and not another drive?

If not, then maybe your drive was in fact damaged from your original overheating incident.

Powering down while under heavy use is defintely NOT a good feature. ;)

If not, then maybe your drive was in fact damaged from your original overheating incident.

Hm... SCSI drives usually just recalibrate the heads for expanding platters.

70 degreez is not that bad.

There is one thing that has kicked my where it hurts for the past 5 years: DUST!!

Dust in my cooling chassis prevents full cooling of the drive.

WTF???

Who invented dust??!?!?!?! It's annoyed me since day 1!!!

thanx for ur help damag133t

After turning off the pwer management to my 36LP it no longer sleeps. So there does not appear to be any built in powerdown to the drive itself.

But if your drive is doing a reset(and then a wakeup "buzz) when you are actively using it, and you are sure that it is not damaged by excessive heat, look closely at your power leads. Also assuming that your PS has enough power on the 12W line to keep all your hardware happy when things get busy.

I had one of my D740X 40 gb drives "reset" while being used, and it turned out to be a bad lead. Swapped it with a spare Y cable, problem solved.

and you are sure that it is not damaged by excessive heat

pretty sure :mellow:

Also assuming that your PS has enough power on the 12W line to keep all your hardware happy when things get busy.

custom 460Watt for dual xeon/athlon (actually i have less stuff connected to it now compared to when the X15-36LP worked fine)

I had one of my D740X 40 gb drives "reset" while being used, and it turned out to be a bad lead. Swapped it with a spare Y cable, problem solved.

hm... will give it a try

I also ran a full scandisk. The disk **seems** to work fine (crossing fingers and praying). It may have been bad sectors.

Hello There !

Just a word about SCSI error recovery in windows : when a SCSI send an SCSI error message that the driver does not like, the SCSI driver might send a SCSI resetto the driveto attempt to recover.

It could be due to the driver version you have, you could try to update it from the manufacturer of your SCSI host bus adapter.

It could be a drive error. (if you have a way to use a SMART reader software from SEAGATE, try it)

It could be a marginal drive not meeting the temp specs/ or your cooler is not doing a job good enough to keep the drive within the temp specs...

Just thoughts to help...

MEJV

the drive is dead

seagate will replace in 5 days with new drive and after i get it I give old one back

i love scsi warrenties

ata warranties can get you the same service. i thought your scsi drives never died! *HONK*

ata warranties can get you the same service. i thought your scsi drives never died! *HONK*

I never ever got an IDE warrenty like that. IBM, WD, Maxtor, none.

The drive isn't totally dead, it just had bad sectors and it could be fine after a low level format (iirc there are sectors put aside for bad sectors).

i thought your scsi drives never died!

arrows in my heart honold :(

my first dead modern scsi drive

from my understanding my last month of abuse was TOO much on the drive

I was told to use a RAID 5 array.

*went in one ear and out the other*

I never ever got an IDE warrenty like that. IBM, WD, Maxtor, none.

cross-shipment, advance replacement, advance rma, etc. they all offer it. they ship a replacement immediately, and you stick the dead drive in the box they gave you to return it.

The drive isn't totally dead, it just had bad sectors and it could be fine after a low level format (iirc there are sectors put aside for bad sectors).

bad sector reallocation is done automatically. if you get to a point where you actually begin seeing bad sectors, the buffer has been used. occasionally some sectors get improperly marked as bad, and going back over the drive will free these again.

in any case, when i start seeing bad sectors i rma immediately, regardless of whether or not i'm able to make a recovery. every time i did recover, the drive still died eventually.

from my understanding my last month of abuse was TOO much on the drive

still with this 'abuse' stuff. i don't think usage was your problem - failure was just in the cards.

in any case, when i start seeing bad sectors i rma immediately, regardless of whether or not i'm able to make a recovery. every time i did recover, the drive still died eventually.

more reason I didn't want to take any chances

still with this 'abuse' stuff. i don't think usage was your problem - failure was just in the cards.

are you implying i have bad karma :lol:

btw

pray for me next week, I have to start fasting during the day and night