Maverick

"SATA" category in Leaderboard?

My second guess would be:

Because the interface is in general not a real differentiator between drives.

If the same drive had a PATA versus SATA interface, it wouldn't perform any different aside from the controller overhead. In other words, it would be a controller difference you would be seeing, not a drive difference. Once SATA gets more features (SATAII) it may be useful to differentiate drives.

My first guess would be:

Eugene or Davin haven't discussed it or if they have they haven't got around to it.

Guest Eugene

Will-

Your second guess is right- Note that the categories do not specify "ATA" or "SCSI." The Raptor, for example, vies for the 10k slot... but its against stiff competition in the Atlas 10k IV.

Fair enough ... but if someone is building a new system and has just purchased a new Springdale or Canterwood Board with ICH5/R Southbridge and they look at the Leaderboard, for a 7200rpm drive, the 2 top picks are the WDJB or 180GXP.

Now, I'm no expert but I think for people upgrading to one of these Boards coupled with an Intel P4 800FSB CPU, it would be advisable to purchase a SATA rather than a PATA drive - just for the potential, RAID features and smaller cabling of SATA.

Others may disagree? ... but it would be nice for those choosing to go SATA to have a Leaderboard list of 7200rpm SATA drives.

The Raptor seems to stand on it's own but it's an expensive 10k solution.

Which SATA drive is the 7200rpm "Leader"?

Thanks

The Raptor is much less expensive considering you already have an onboard controller.

I'd vote (if we were voting :) ) to add info for the top SATA drive, maybe similar to how both the Atlas 10k IV and Raptor are mentioned in the 10K category. I've been looking for an SATA drive and would great to find a quick pointer.

I think it depends more on how many drives you want to hook up, and if you anticipate adding more drives in the future.

Given that current SATA drives offer no performance gain over their PATA equivalents*, and that in future drives will be bigger and faster and cheaper and far more likely to use the SATA interface. I reckon there’s a good argument for keeping the onboard SATA for the drive you’re going to buy six or seven months from now.

*Because it doesn't have a PATA equivalent the above doesn’t apply to the Raptor.

to put it another way, imagine that, six or so months from now you want a new HD, and you find that all the best drives use SATA, but all your onboard ports are being used by drives that could just as happily sit on those empty PATA controllers, how pissed would you be then?

I'd still go SATA, if only for the RAID migration capabilites. Also, SATA versions are only a few bucks more than their PATA counterparts these days.

Given that, the choice is between:

1) Raptor -36GB - $135

2) Maxtor Plus 9 - 120GB - $120 ie. $15 less for 3.33 times more capacity but no 10k - (NB: $110 for the PATA version)

or

waiting for the Hitachi/IBM & WD Caviar SATA drives.

BTW, does anyone know why the 120GB Maxtor has a 3 year warranty compared to only 1 year on the 80GB version?

Are there any speed/access advantages in getting a 120GB over an 80 or a 160GB? Because the 120GB seems to have the sweetest price:capacity point at the moment.

Thanks

The Raptor is much less expensive considering you already have an onboard controller.

Nope, drive costs exactly the same. I checked with my retailer! ;)

Anywho, how does having a SATA controller make the Raptor less expensive than a Barracuda IV? The Raptor IS expensive for most people, especially since most people tend to prefer the larger storage over the incremental speed increase. Me, i'm going to keep my 15k.3 for a while yet.

L.

Sorry, I meant that the raptor would be less expensive than a SCSI drive and HBA...not than another *-ATA drive.