Hello there..

I know it has been discussed many times before but I still find myself puzzled with this question ...

I just got Maxtor Diamonmax 9+ SATA 8meg memory and compared the noise with my old Seagate Barracuda ATA V .. I know seagate should and is silencer than the maxtor but I have tryed three different hard drives and only Seagate doesnt have metalling whine in it..

I mean is the metallic whining normal for these drives or am I just really unlucky?

WD120JB had really loud metallic humming/whining, and so does this new Maxtor in idle.

I compared the maxtor and seagate announced desibel rates and they arent far from each other, still in reality seagate doesnt whine and maxtor does :/

ps. I have one of those HDD silencing shells but iam not sure are they spected only for 5400rpm drives..

Every drive is different. It's almost like having a child, the 1st one could be quiet and the next might be a loud mouth... WD drives seem to be know for extreme variation while Seagate and IBM are known for consistency. I don't have much experience with Maxtor, but the DM+9 I bought a month or so ago was very quiet at idle and I've heard the same thing from everyone else who's talked about Maxtor's FDB drives.

Every drive is different. It's almost like having a child, the 1st one could be quiet and the next might be a loud mouth... WD drives seem to be know for extreme variation while Seagate and IBM are known for consistency. I don't have much experience with Maxtor, but the DM+9 I bought a month or so ago was very quiet at idle and I've heard the same thing from everyone else who's talked about Maxtor's FDB drives.

Yeah I 2nd that about WD's consistency - some are nice and quiet, some whine really bad. (as new drives)

The whine you hear is from the drives conventional bearings. I absolutely positively HATE this noise. In general, I hate any noise, I am a big silent computer buff. Having said that, I would rather listen to 50 7000rpm fans running simultaneously than just one HD with that horrible bearing whine.

I have a total of 8 80 GB cuda IV's and they are all BY FAR the quietest drives. I bought a cuda V, then returned it the next day because it was LOUDER than any cuda IV I have ever seen (heard.)

I have not worked with Maxtors FDB drives, but I did listen to one that was installed in a box at a local computer store. It was quieter than the average drive, but not near as nice as the cuda IV's.

Ya I dunno why, but the only drive to date I have come accross that has yet to spit out that whine (at one point eventually) are cuda IV's (and I guess V's). As soon as the IV's are gone/obsolete I will be sad. :(

It is as I was afraid, my bad luck :(

I suppose the whining aint going away , but the real question is .. Is the whining valid reason to get the drive changed? I just moved my XP and about 120g of data to this new drive so iam not too keen on changing it but the whining.. It definetly is getting on my nerves..

It is as I was afraid, my bad luck  :(

I suppose the whining aint going away , but the real question is .. Is the whining valid reason to get the drive changed? I just moved my XP and about 120g of data to this new drive so iam not too keen on changing it but the whining.. It definetly is getting on my nerves..

I'd return it to the retailer if possible... I regret not doing it for an 800JB I purchased. I could probably RMA it to WD but I've heard too many bad things and i'd rather just live with a drive that's loud (i don't use it in my main PC)

I was just checking out the seagates so called sea shell (the bottom with soft material and a plate screwed ower the circuits.

Has anybody tryed to put something like that into a non seagate drive? I tryed the material and it feels like the soft stuff that comes with motherboards, little piece of it and thin metal plate attached to the bottom.

Anybody tryed ?

Quess it will be easyer to buy a HDD silencer kit and be happy..

That plate is designed to fit over a Seagate board. It probably either won't fit correctly on other drives or may run the risk of shorting/overheating the circuitry due to the different fit. I have seen an equivalent design on some WD OEM drives, for example. Seagate is the only one that seems to have it on a lot of their drives (although the recent 7200.7 seems to have omitted it).

I believe that the "sea shell" functions mostly to protect the pcb of the drive, and doesnt actually help with reducing sound that much (maybe a little tho)

Unfortunately, this bearing whine is one of the toughest sounds to kill. Lots of insulation and the "drive silencers" do a great job at silencing seeks and such, but that whine is so piercing... it seems to go thu anything.

If this sound really bugs you I recommend trying to somehow replace the drive with a Seagate asap. The sound will only get worse over time.

I believe that the "sea shell" functions mostly to protect the pcb of the drive, and doesnt actually help with reducing sound that much (maybe a little tho)

Unfortunately, this bearing whine is one of the toughest sounds to kill.  Lots of insulation and the "drive silencers" do a great job at silencing seeks and such, but that whine is so piercing... it seems to go thu anything.

If this sound really bugs you I recommend trying to somehow replace the drive with a Seagate asap.  The sound will only get worse over time.

I believe there were some people here complaining that the new Seagate FDB drives have some sort of whine problem.

Unfortunately, this bearing whine is one of the toughest sounds to kill.  Lots of insulation and the "drive silencers" do a great job at silencing seeks and such, but that whine is so piercing... it seems to go thu anything.

If this sound really bugs you I recommend trying to somehow replace the drive with a Seagate asap.  The sound will only get worse over time.

I believe there were some people here complaining that the new Seagate FDB drives have some sort of whine problem.

Yup, they're not as quiet as their immediate predecessors.

I can concure. I remember my silentest drive was Barracuda IV , the V has little whine with it but its not that bad as with my current Maxtor.

Still the whining king is WD 80JB in my books but I quess I was unlucky.

This whining thing really bugs me since its like playing lottery if your going to get a silent or whining drive. And almost allways the reviewers tend to get the silent versions <_<

I guess we should start refusing to buy drives of those (few ;)) companies

that send one kind drive for SR and sell another specification for us.

At least that's what I do.

I don't care returning my drive for the retailer for, e.g., loud noise cause. This way I've returned some WD and Maxtor slow & loud drives.

Hitachi/IBM? not buying IBM for the next 2 years due to the 75GXP world disaster.

Sorry for my bad english & Best Regards

I can concure. I remember my silentest drive was Barracuda IV , the V has little whine with it but its not that bad as with my current Maxtor.

Still the whining king is WD 80JB in my books but I quess I was unlucky.

This whining thing really bugs me since its like playing lottery if your going to get a silent or whining drive. And almost allways the reviewers tend to get the silent versions <_<

Yeah I meant to say Cuda IV, not just a seagate.

My previous post in this thread goes off on how the IV's are quieter than anything else and how I was dissapointed with the V.