badtz

Maxtor 320gb ?

I've just received this email from Coolmax [the maker of my firewire enclosure] :

Hi There,

In response to your inquiry,

We would like to inform you that our CoolMax CD-309-FW ( Oxford 911

chipset)

can support WD / IBM hard drive up to 127GB and Maxtor HDD 320GB.

If you need further information, please let us know, thank you!

I was wondering what drive are they specifically talking about of Maxtor's that go up to 320gb? Or is that just the theoretical limit?

also :: how come the wd/ibm only goes up to 127gb?

Thanks for any help! :)

I think it's a ATA/100 v.s ATA/133 thing? (ATA/133 should theoretically support much larger drives than 320 Mb though... (and ATA/100 also with win XP?) I haven't heard about any 320 Mb disk (yet) so I think they are just guessing what the max drive sizes are.

Are they saying they can support the Maxtor MaxLine HDD?

also, how slow [or fast] is it? for a 5400rpm drive .... ????

Is it available? .... in fluid bearings?

this is the largest hdd on the planet right now!

What planet? The 320 GB drive was discontinued before reaching production and the 300 GB version is long overdue.

They probably had issues making 80 GB/platter heads work on a multi-disk platform. The more disks, the harder to get a drive to work. I bet the yields were too low to justify the cost of producing the drive.

The biggest ones I've actually seen in stock and available are 250 GB, from both WD and Maxtor. Maxtor lists a 300 GB drive on their site, but I haven't seen it in stock anywhere.

The biggest ones I've actually seen in stock and available are 250 GB, from both WD and Maxtor. Maxtor lists a 300 GB drive on their site, but I haven't seen it in stock anywhere.

A Google search shows some available at least at DABS in the UK... but you're right not much in the US.

As the thread hints there must be yield issues on those fat heads!

Yéti

I've just received this email from Coolmax [the maker of my firewire enclosure] :
Hi There,

In response to your inquiry,

We would like to inform you that our CoolMax CD-309-FW ( Oxford 911

chipset)

can support WD / IBM hard drive up to 127GB and Maxtor HDD 320GB.

If you need further information, please let us know, thank you!

I was wondering what drive are they specifically talking about of Maxtor's that go up to 320gb? Or is that just the theoretical limit?

also :: how come the wd/ibm only goes up to 127gb?

Thanks for any help! :)

Because Maxtor implements some sort of mfg-specific command-set to workaround the 127GB limit (implemented prior to the standards for 48-bit LBA), and the Oxford 911 interface-translator firmware was programmed to use those Maxtor-specific commands. (I've seen this documented before, this isn't really new.)

So you can use a Maxtor drive larger than 127GB, or any other mfg's HD up to 127GB.

This is also why, when purchasing an external Firewire or USB 2.0 HD enclosure, make sure that they are using the newer interface-translation chipset rev, that supports generic 48-bit LBA.

Hi, I'd read a couple of days ago from an AVS Forum thread that FirewireDirect is selling 1394b HDD kits in up to 320GB/5400rpm ( http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewire/pro...s/Storage.shtml )! I couldn't figure out if they actually have these in stock, and if so what 320GB HDD make/model they're using, and if that drive's available separately, whether OEM or retail (how's that for a compound question).

Unfortunately for me, I already bought Maxtor's 300GB 5400rpm retail kit from Outpost.com a couple of weeks back for $290 - $50 MIR (which I haven't sent yet since I hate MIRs). Actually I'd bought the drive from CompUSA for $320 a couple of days before that, so I ended up returning Outpost's kit package to CompUSA :)