Davin

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

Yes it does look some of the newer models are missing from the reliability DB. Not that I expect the cache size or interface to affect reliability very much.

I only found one review of the 200GB version (100GB/platter vs 80GB for those reviewed here) and that was at Tom's (I know - but they *have* a review). It looks like the 200GB version should score well against the other top drives. The low-level results (7200.7 200GB review) show a good improvment vs the review here - 66MB/s (high) and 36MB/s (low). This is better then any 7200RPM drive reviewed here. (but I will be the first to admit this is not apples to apples)

$149 is looking pretty good...

Hi,

I recently purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb drive (ST3160023A). However I found that it produces a regular low frequency hum, repeated every 4 - 5 seconds, increasing and then decreasing in volume, when it is idle. I reported this to Seagate support who replied:

"The latest generation of our high-capacity drives have been programmed to

perform regular off-line scans to test the drive's reliability and detect

any possible malfunctions while the drive is still relatively new. These

tests occur during times of system idle and are programmed to end after a

certain number of power-on hours."

It didn't sound like an off-line scan to me so I returned it under warranty and it was replaced. Unfortunately the replacement has the same issue.

Has anyone else had this problem? The noise is sufficiently loud and repetitious to be really quite irritating. I don't have this problem with my other drive - a Western Digital 80Gb model.

regards

Bob

That's the scan, it's normal and as you've found excrutiatingly annoying (I had two and they both did that). If you want high performance without that noise, then look at the Samsung SP80 or the WD Raptor (the new one not the old one which has a horrible whine). If you do decide to go SP80 lmk as I have a 120G SATA for sale (couldn't resist) :D

Well it's interesting that they say it will cease after a number of power on hours, my 160Gb SATA 7200.7 has almost 6000 hours and it still does the same scan when idling, not as disturbing, though.

my 160Gb SATA 7200.7 has almost 6000 hours and it still does the same scan when idling, not as disturbing, though.

Is that part about 6000 hours correct? So that means that your 7200.7 was on for 250 days and it still does that offline seek noise?

my 160Gb SATA 7200.7 has almost 6000 hours and it still does the same scan when idling, not as disturbing, though.

Is that part about 6000 hours correct? So that means that your 7200.7 was on for 250 days and it still does that offline seek noise?

Yep, 6676 for now and still. I think it's simply untrue that the drive does the scans only when new.

Btw I bought it last July and it's been on 24/7 since then.

Yeah i renetly purchased the seagate st3200822a, which is the 200 gb version. jsut ondering what the performance numbers are on this? My current rig has the western dig 1200 jb and the maxtor diamondmax plus 9 120 gb. I am contemplating on which one to give away because of the lower performance (I'm a gamer). Any advice? Maybe a new review can be done on this new seagate model? :D

Best Buy is offering the Seagate Barracuda PATA 80.0GB with 8MB cache for $40 after rebates (although it's out of stock, you can backorder). It's model ST380013AR, which I think is the same as ST380013A (minus the R at the end, Best Buy's way of distinguishing between PATA and SATA?).

StorageReview doesn't seem to have reviewed the PATA 8MB cache version. Are there any good reviews out there that talk about the performance of this drive? Is PATA similar to SATA performance with the 8MB cache? What do you guys think about putting two of these in a RAID array? The one-year warranty isn't great, but the 7200.7 seems to have a good reputation for reliability. If noise is low, performance is good, and the drive is this cheap, it seems to make sense to me.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

StorageReview doesn't seem to have reviewed the PATA 8MB cache version. Are there any good reviews out there that talk about the performance of this drive? Is PATA similar to SATA performance with the 8MB cache? What do you guys think about putting two of these in a RAID array?

The PATA 8MB performance will be identical (within experimental error) to the SATA 8MB model. Though the cache helps seek performance significantly, bursts from cace don't make much difference STR wise, so the STR is bottlenecked by mechanical constraints (data density, spin speed, etc) and not by the interface (PATA, SATA etc).

As for RAID - I recommend you don't do RAID 0 for general use or gaming. For the long answer regarding RAID, try the FAQs and search the computing forum. If you still have questions about RAID, post them in the computing forum.

That said, if you were asking if there were any specific problems with this drive and RAID arrays, I'd say there were none to worry about. It was the Barracuda IV that had problems.

Noise is quite low, partticularly in idle, but not as quiet as the Samsung Spinpoint P80 series. Check them out.

Well it's interesting that they say it will cease after a number of power on hours, my 160Gb SATA 7200.7 has almost 6000 hours and it still does the same scan when idling, not as disturbing, though.

I am very interested in this drive, especially the new 200GB version. I am however slightly worried about these noises I am hearing about. I dont mind high ambient noises at all. My computer is full of fans and has two Maxtor Atlas 10kIII Ultra160 Drives as well. With all of this, am I likely to notice the loud idle seeks of this Seagate and even the 7K250?

Just to follow-up ... Best Buy was giving me a really hard time about getting the two Seagate Barracudas I ordered, so I gave up, canceled the order, and got an IBM Hitachi 7K250 160GB 8MB cache SATA drive instead. Before doing that, I confirmed with Hitachi technical support that the drive is covered by a three-year warranty no matter who you purchase from (Newegg listed one year for some reason).

I also talked to the Hitachi people about the "meow" or "hinge" noise some people had reported. Hitachi confirmed that the seek problem had been fixed and that currently shipping drives do not make the noise. I forget whether he said firmware upgrades corrected the problem, but the drive I got from Newegg is working just fine. It's now in an Antec P160 with a TRUE380S quiet power supply, slow-spinning 120mm fans, and rubber grommets everywhere, and the drive seems very quiet to me. It certainly doesn't make any strange noises or wake me up at night.

Anyway, I'm sure either the Seagate or the HGST 7K250 is a good choice, but I went with the Hitachi for its three year warranty and excellent performance. Hope this helps you make your decision.

(I'll post this in the 7K250 thread too for reference.)

I found out that there is two benchmark readings for the Seagate 7200.7 160 GB SATA drive. The readings in the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 review is lower than the readings found in the performance database.

What's the cause of the different readings though its the same hardisk?

Cheers :rolleyes:

Just got an ST 3160023A 160GB w/8MB cache as a firewire backup drive (in a cheap initio-based case). It was $99 at Outpost.com with a $50 Seagate factory rebate. $49 plus a little S&H seems quite fair! :D

Hi,

I recently purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb drive (ST3160023A). However I found that it produces a regular low frequency hum, repeated every 4 - 5 seconds, increasing and then decreasing in volume, when it is idle.

It is probably just a resonance with the other 7200rpm drive you have. Or don't you have at least 2 drives?

That's the scan, it's normal and as you've found excrutiatingly annoying (I had two and they both did that).  If you want high performance without that noise, then look at the Samsung SP80 or the WD Raptor (the new one not the old one which has a horrible whine).  If you do decide to go SP80 lmk as I have a 120G SATA for sale (couldn't resist)  :D

156550[/snapback]

is the Raptor not loud and a bit high pitched?

hello!

just a wee question about these drives

i just bought two of them, 160gb sata, and connected them in raid1 on a ali sata controller. i bought them as i heard they had good noise reviews.

the drive idle noise is nearly non-existant, but when the drives are accessing, the noise is way louder than expected, it is a really loud crunching noise. i had a 80gb pata 7200.7 before and its active noise was less than half as loud. i can't work out if its coming from just one drive, or both. any ideas how to test this without jepordising my raid1 setup?

i am really just concerned wether the drives are faulty. if not, i can just put them in a silencer box sure.

i was wondering what you thought on this matter.

any ideas how to test this without jepordising my raid1 setup?

Download a program called h2benchw and place it on a boot diskette (it runs from DOS). Reconnect your HDDs non-RAID and reboot. The program can randomly access each HDD.

There's probably no-fault. Newer Barracudas do not feature 'Acoustic management' following a patent infringement.

thanks for the helpful reply.

i have confirmed that both drives are as loud as eachother.

i had heard about the infringement, surely it can't be that much louder?

i measured the db at 1inch, were pushing 55db! haha!

i have confirmed that both drives are as loud as eachother.

i posted this rather late on, when i say both, i mean both the new sata drives.

also i plugged in the old 7200.7 pata as reference. you still can barely hear it.

and have decided that it is more than twice as loud, more like 5x.

i think i was just unlucky and got a dodgy DOA batch.

Hi guys, i have a Seagate 200GB HDD comes with my HP pc, not even a week, the HDD have abnormal noises (buzzy sound) when i tried to open programs or applications, the noise are quite loud.

HP partitioned 179GB for C Drive (NTFS) and 6.95GB for D Drive.

Try to use the Seagate diagnosed tools to isolate the noises but failed.

Anyone know what went wrong here? Should i send the pc back to the reseller and request for replacing? Please help! Thanks!

Barracuda 7200.7 SATA

Model Number:ST3200822AS

Capacity:200 GB

If the drive is that loud I would try to have them replace the drive if not the whole machine.

I have the 7200.7 I think and it has been recently making whirring noises randomly during games or when idle. I hear this is part of the scanning process. I have had the drive for about 2 months and it just started about a few weeks ago. It seems to be happening less but still I am worried. I have run the SeaTools drive chec and it turned out OK but was wondering if you guys could tell me if it seems fine. Thanks.