Davin

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

Interesting comment on the Maxtor SATA drive - just about to send a WD 80 SE back because of the tremendous whine and constant drive access noise. How would you rate the noise factor with the Maxtor? Idle noise is supposedly nonexistant but hows the noise when it does a seek/write? Would you say its similar to a standard Maxtor drive with AAM set to fast (off)?

I'm looking at putting a new hard drive into a barebone system and are considering the Seagate 7200.7 160 GB and perhaps the Maxtor Plus 9. The system has a ATA-133 controller, and no SATA.

If I'm not mistaken, the 7200.7 PATA with 8 mb buffer isn't reviewed here. Would this 8 mb PATA drive compare well to the 8 mb SATA? I want low noise in the system, but I don't like the 2 mb PATA 7200.7 low performance.

Any comment on this? I know the review says that similar performance should be expected, but has anyone verified it?

Thanks.

Do I understand it correctly that the PATA 7200.7 ones are in quiet AAM? Why the difference?

I just got the 160GB PATA 7200.7 8MB drive and under Intel's Application Accelerator, the option to switch between performance and quiet is not available like my older Barracuda IV. The acoustic setting is defaulted to quiet mode. I don't know why the SATA would have it defaulted to performance.

Also, on a side note, the drive came with a 1-year warranty and not a 3-year warranty as said on the storagereview.com review.

-Shmorq

Guest Eugene
Also, on a side note, the drive came with a 1-year warranty and not a 3-year warranty as said on the storagereview.com review.

The review states that only the "Plus" (PATA 8 MB) models come with a three-year warranty.

The acoustic setting is defaulted to quiet mode.  I don't know why the SATA would have it defaulted to performance.

I can only quess... I think because SATA is supposed to be faster than PATA, and it wouldn't look good if the performance doesn't get enough bump.

As for the warranty: How did You check it? With Seagate's "Warranty Validator"?

You should really ask about it from the shop You bought the drive. Some shops sell "OEM" drives, which have one year warranty from the manufacturer, regardless of what the manufacturer gives for the "retail" drives. The shop can still offer longer warranty period.

You should have 3yr. warranty, as You have 8 MB PATA drive.

Cheers,

Jan

Guest Eugene

My bad, didn't read shmorq's post closely enough. That is strange...

I just bought one of the 8MB PATA drives at CompUSA, and it also has a 1 year warranty. It's model ST3160023A-RK. On the product page, they list a three year warranty, but checking it in the warranty validator, it shows up as only one year.

I sent an email to Seagate asking for clarification on the warranty status of the drive. It said I should get a response in 24-72 hours, and I'll report what they say when I get it.

As for the warranty: How did You check it? With Seagate's "Warranty Validator"?

You should really ask about it from the shop You bought the drive. Some shops sell "OEM" drives, which have one year warranty from the manufacturer, regardless of what the manufacturer gives for the "retail" drives. The shop can still offer longer warranty period.

Cheers,

Jan

I also got a retail box from CompUSA and it said 1-year warranty on it. I'll have to check the drive with the warranty validator since maybe the box was misprinted. (???)

I'll also e-mail Seagate to see what the warranty really is.

-Shmorq

I got back their response, and this is what it said:

Greetings Steven,

After researching your issue we have been informed that all retail drives

are covered by a one year warranty.

Seagate offers the ST3160023A model in two different configurations,

retail kit (ST3160023A-RK) and bare drive (ST3120023A) versions.  The

drives warranty is designated by the inclusion or absence of the "RK"

designator for Retail Kits.

The Retail Kits are only sold through Best Buy and CompUSA at this time

and are covered by a one year warranty.  The bare drive model is covered

by the three year warranty.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you.

Regards,

Bobby F.

Disc Presales

Davin or Eugene, can you please update the article to warn buyers that retail version of the ST3160023A only has a one year warranty. I've looked through Seagate's website, and I couldn't find anything that would indicate they have two different warranties for the drive.

This is my response from Seagate. The guy that responded to SteveC's request sounds more knowledgable...

Most currently available ATA models are listed below, the Barracuda

7200.7+ are a 3 year warranty.

Barracuda 7,200 RPM Ultra ATA 100

ST340014A - 40 GB capacity - 2 Megabyte buffer (Barracuda 7200.7 model)

ST360014A - 60 GB capacity - 2 Megabyte buffer (Barracuda 7200.7 model)

ST380011A - 80 GB capacity - 2 Megabyte buffer (Barracuda 7200.7 model)

ST380013A - 80 GB capacity - 8 Megabyte buffer (Barracuda 7200.7+ model)

ST3120022A - 120 GB capacity - 2 Megabyte buffer (Barracuda 7200.7 model)

ST3120026A - 120 GB capacity - 8 Megabyte buffer (Barracuda 7200.7+ model)

ST3160021A - 160 GB capacity - 2 Megabyte buffer Barracuda 7200.7 model)

ST3160023A - 160 GB capacity - 8 Megabyte buffer (Barracuda 7200.7+ model)

The support guy never mentioned the difference between a bare-drive and retail kit even though I mentioned that I purchased mine from CompUSA with a box that said 1-year warranty on it.

-Shmorq

Hi,

Is there any reason why the 8MB cache models have a 3 year warranty? I.e. How is Seagate so confident that those models are more reliable, since the "Plus" versions aren't that much more expensive.

Anything to do with the parts they used? Or less reading/writing because of the extra buffer?

Thanks in advance,

Shoyu

I really do not believe the drives are built any differently. I think the drives themselves are mechanically identical, but the costs of providing warranty service for a longer period of time are not added to the 2 MB drives and are added for the 8 MB drives. There are certain fixed overhead costs associated with warranty service, regardless of the actual number of drives returned/RMA'd. For each drive sold, a certain amount of money is set aside for these expected costs. This is money that is tied up and cannot be used for other things (like buying supplies for building more drives, R&D, marketing, etc.).

I've bought the SATA 160 GB version of this harddrive. After reading the review and being a previous Barracuda IV owner I expected the sound levels to be about the same, but to my surprise the noise when seeking is very audible with the new drive - I could barely hear it with the Barracuda IV.

Are any of you experiencing the same, or have I received a flimsy unit?

I bought a SATA 80GB version, and I also think the seeks are noisy (compared to my old IBM drive). Hopefully that's "normal" and not indicative of a failing drive....

I've bought the SATA 160 GB version of this harddrive. After reading the review and being a previous Barracuda IV owner I expected the sound levels to be about the same, but to my surprise the noise when seeking is very audible with the new drive - I could barely hear it with the Barracuda IV.

Are any of you experiencing the same, or have I received a flimsy unit?

I bought a SATA 80GB version, and I also think the seeks are noisy (compared to my old IBM drive). Hopefully that's "normal" and not indicative of a failing drive....

Sure that is normal. The SATA version comes with AAM set to absolute performance mode, and unfortunately this cannot be changed due to copyright issues...

Hi, I just found this site, even if I think I read comments about hard drives here before. I should have looked at it before buying my last hard drives, 2 X Seagate 120 gig SATA 7200.7. I can confirm that it's normal to have a noisy seeking, technical support told me java script:emoticon('B)')

The thing here is that one hard drive failed last week, and it's been 2 weeks I have them. I had a WD1000BB and run it one year, 24/24, in my 3½ slot with a fan on it. It was always enouph cooled. Now, I saw when I installed the first Seagate in my 3½ that is was very hot. I thank it was normal. The other one was in a 5¼ slot, with a fan too. The one who failed was the one in 3½. It wasn't detected in the BIOS and when I rebooted again, it made strange noise like "viiiii, viiii, viiii, respinning again, viii, viii, viii...". This is the sound of death !

BUT ! I putted out the drive and it started to work again, without any problem, without bad sectors !

I asked for technical support and they told me that my case wasn't enouph cooled. But if it wasn't, why my last Western Digital worked for one year and wasn't so hot ? I wonder why the review on the 160 gb in the temperature test didn't revealed that the Seagate was a lot hotter than the others, or they are all hotter !

Now, I putted the 2 hard drives in the 5¼ bay and they have 2 fans that send air from outside of the case. They work fine since that. What is the deal ? Hard drives today cannot work without proper cooling ? I putted fans on my hard drives as an additionnal protection, but now I see that it's not just additionnal !

Is anybody here running 24/24 with Seagate without fan on it ? I'd like to know.

Thanks !

Well I bit on the 7200.7 ultra with 8mb cache. Got it for $60 after rebate, so I'm not too worried. It was either that, or a Maxtor 120GB sata for $120.

Here is my HDTACH, i ran it a couple times to make sure it was accurate:

http://madproject.com/controller.php?id=3199.JPG

the access times are higher than the sata one. i wonder if it is on the quiet AAM, if i can turn it to performance.

Does anybody knows when the new version 100GB SATA w/command quering will arrive on the market??

I'm still waiting for....... <_<

Good question.

But if it still has the idle whine and continous seeking when idle, I'm not interested :angry:

mmmmh... :o

But which drive is quiter than the 7200.7?

Seems that the new spinpoint should be the one to buy, but I haven't find a really good review (there's one at silentpcreview but...). Any infos?

mmmmh... :o

But which drive is quiter than the 7200.7?

Seems that the new spinpoint should be the one to buy, but I haven't find a really good review (there's one at silentpcreview but...). Any infos?

7K250 B)

Hi again,

I see that nobody replied to me. But I just wanted to say that since the drive is in vertical position (since 3 weeks), the drive work fine. I talked a lot with a professionnal in hard drive and he thinks that the problem is electronic (chips on the hard drive). I think it's possible. But now I'm letting it like that. I've got a great speed with RAID 0 :D

There is apparently a 200GB version of this drive (7200.7 Plus) available now:

ST3120026A ST3160023A ST3200822A

Formatted Gbytes (512 bytes/sector) 120 160 200

Discs/Heads 2/3 2/4 2/4

Seagate fact sheet

Note that the 160 and 200GB both have 2 platters and 4 heads. That means the 200GB is higher density. Anybody have any experience with performance of this model?

Seems fairly cheap (newegg @ $149) with 3 years...

I was just putting my drives in the reliability database and noticed that there is not option to select a ST380013A drive (on the ST380013AS). This unit is an 80GB PATA Seagate HD w/8MB cache.