Sign in to follow this  
Occupant

A7N8X & 6 Channel Sound

I am trying to help a friend with his A7N8X motherboard, he's trying to configure it to use the 6 channel on board sound, I downloaded and read the manual from asus, but there is no mention of the six channel sound in there. If anyone could point us in the right direction to get it going, I'd appreciate it...

(note this is the A7N8X not "deluxe" version of the motherboard)

Er... in 2000 or XP, in the "Sounds/Multimedia" applet in control panel, there's a Speaker Configuration dropdown that lets you pick 5.1. RealTek's SoundMan utility also includes a configuration tool, both for the jacks and for speakers, that you might have to use. I don't know if the regaulr A7N8X includes the RealTek tool or just something similar. I'd have to imagine they do.

I also have the regular A7N8X. It does support 6 channel sound, but it takes a little experimentation to figure out how to enable it. Here's what you have to do (in Win2K/XP):

1. Control Panel

2. Sounds and Audio Devices

3. Under "Device Volume" click Advanced

4. In the Options menu, select Advanced Controls

5. Click the Advanced button below the master volume slider

6. Check the boxes "rear speakers connected to Line In", and "center speaker and subwoofer connected to Microphone". Connect the speakers to the appropriate places

7. Click Close

8. Close the volume control window

9. You are now back at the "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties"... under "Speaker Settings" click Advanced

10. In the drop down box, select 5.1 surround speakers

11. Click OK

12. Click OK again

Note: I was able to figure out how to enable the 6 channel sound, but I don't actually have the speakers to test it. Please report as to whether it works or not.

I have a quick question about this board (might be the deluxe version though). In various spec lists I've seen 'S/PDIF' mentioned. Does anyone know if this is a coax digital audio input, or is it output only?

I could really do with adding Firewire, USB2 and some method of recording digital audio off a minidisc deck to my computer system. Instead of buying all these as separate cards and trying to find enough PCI slots for them all, maybe I should just change motherboard...

On the AMD Zone BBS there was discussion on the S/PDIF option a couple weeks ago. My recollection is that the S/PDIF *IS* coaxial IF you order the optional bracket from ASUS. The word is this coaxial I/O bracket has been discontinued and you'll need to find new old stock if you want it.

Thanks raceware - think I found the thread. Looks like the combined Optical/Coax bracket has been discontinued and they're just making the Coax only version from now on. All I have to do now is find somewhere that sells it in the UK :lol:

The s/pdif is only with the deluxe version of the motherboard, as is firewire and s-ata. the non deluxe version has none of these features.

Why get a bracket? The Deluxe has coax SPDIF on the I/O backplate.

Why get a bracket? The Deluxe has coax SPDIF on the I/O backplate.

The deluxe version comes with the bracket, there is no need to purchase one, however this isnt the deluxe version of the motherboard.