zorlac7

POLL: BEST HDD BRAND OR PREFERRED BRAND.

What am I missing? Where is the poll?

Anyway IBM/HGST. Never had a problem. Loyal since the days of their first 3.5" 1GB SCSI drive.

Killeroy.

Hi there,

I think I can say something about IDE ATA drives: I've had more than 20 harddrives - SAMSUNG, WESTERN DIGITAL, MAXTOR, SEAGATE, FUJITSU, CHAINTECH, QUANTUM & IBM/HITACHI drives - and I can say is that I prefer SAMSUNG and SEAGATE drives, as they don't fail easily. ;)

Well, at least here in Brazil.

My statistics could lead to other results if I lived elsewhere, eg. Japan, because of shipping issues (which I guess causes most problem with harddrives in my country).

Also, I've talked to some technicians here, and most of them have the same opinion: they prefer SAMSUNG and SEAGATE drives.

Here is my 2cents.

Best Regards

IBM, my 76.8 75GXP has never given me any issues what so ever!

IBM baby!!!... They are the only company who employ the most diverse technology into their drives.

I used to like quantums,

But I now buy anything that suits my needs. No real point having favourites.

Seagate or Quantum - after I bought my last quantum drives, Maxtor has bought the company. I never trusted maxtor, so I turned to Western Digital and Seagate.

-Uffe

What's the point? They've all had their ups and downs.

Well, I have 27gig and 10gig Maxtors that are years old with no problems

Then I have a 45gig IBM that is sprinkled with bad sectors.

And 4 of the 9 Western Digital 800BB's I've bought have been replaced. One was DOA.

So, I guess I vote Maxtor even though I don't have any of their more "modern" (larger) drives to comment on.

Rox

I have accumulated quite a few Seagates over the years, new and used, and have only had one fail so far - so that's obviously my preferred brand. (Alive, sorted by age and not necessarily buying date: ST51080A 256k cache, ST52520A, ST34572N, ST38641A semi-retired, ST38420A, ST320430A, ST318406LW. Dead: ST51080A 128k cache, died rather suddenly when it was about 3-1/2 years young.) Then there's a Fujitsu MAJ3091MP (this feels a *tiny* bit more solid than SCSI Seagates, and jumpering is better as well), and two elderly Quantums, one of which developed bad sectors after a transport (ProDrive LPS 210 AT or somesuch), the other one still worked fine when retired (Lightning 365AT). Oh, there's also an old, dog slow (but perfectly reliable) 540 meg Maxtor (540AV I think, retired), and an equally speedy, but annoyingly loud Conner CFS420A with lots of bad sectors (retired).

Stephan

SCSI: Seagate (15k.3)

IDE: WD and Seagate (pior to their launch of the 7200.7)

SATA: Used to be Seagate, but their new and NOT improved 7200.7, which is supposed to be the succesor to both the Cuda V and the U160 - is a mixed cup of tea. Good STR but slow seeks and marginally more noisy.

I might therefor go with the new Maxtor Maxline II SATA for storage and the WD Raptor for speed.

I hope WD will soon make a larger version of the Raptor, but if not so, I hope WD will soon make a SATA version of their drivezilla drives (200GB +) WITH FDB motor.

Maxtor definitely. I currently have about 10 120GB & 200GB DiamondMax Drives at home; most have been running since early last year. Not a single problem.

Don't really have the prefference, it all depends on what you want to do with the drive. The "new" WD has been the most reliable drive for me so far, seagate/samsung is good for HTPC, and now I'm going to try IBM (just as soon as I finish modding my PC - has been lazy in that department though). I won't touch maxtors however, I've had 3 of them fail out of four drives I've had...

A note on the warranty service: I haven't tried IBM/Hitachi warranty but out of maxtor/WD/seagate, seagate's warranty is clearly the best - they always sent me a new drive, both maxtor and WD have sent me recertified/refurbished drives. :angry:

Dare I say it?

SAMSUNG! (ok... so I'm trying to help out a company from my milk country. I've never owned a samsung HDD, but not from lack of trying. Everytime I try to order one, the store I'm ordering from says they don't have it in stock but they do have another manufacturer's in stock).

I just bought two 36GB WD Raptors, so for now, I'll say my favorite is Western Digital.

Joo

I have to say Seagate

they´re always tremendously committed to the industry and managed to put the first 7.2K, 10K and 15K rpm drives on the market

their first generation drives keep an amasing reliability record even by today standards