Sign in to follow this  
MisterDuck

Hard drive not recognized...

A friend's computer of mine has two hard drives, both IDE. They both show up in the bios when the comptuer is booting (one is a WD, the other is an IBM), but once I get into windows (Windows XP Home) the drive doesn't show up in My Computer, and there's no indication that another hard drive even exists.

They added this drive on later after the first started to get full--all the master and slave settings seem to be fine. Is this an issue with windows, or perhaps the drive isn't formated properly? Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause? I just don't understand why it would show in the BIOS and not show up in windows.

Any help is much appreciated--ciao,

jer

More information needed:

• Are the drives on the same IDE channel?

• If so, is one set as mater and the ohter as slave?

• Is the problem brand new?

• Does the problem drive contain a partition?

A BIOS will usually identify any working drive on the bus. My Computer, however, displays only named partitions on a drive. You can check to see if Windows XP recognizes the hardware by opening

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

All correctly installed IDE drives will be displayed as horizontal bars. If you have a non-partitioned drive, WinXP may prompt you to create a partition. If you're not prompted, then right-click the unpartitioned space and select "new partition". I haven't done this in a while, but I believe this will create one large partition using all the available space on the drive.

Post back if this doesn't help.

Piyono

More information needed:

• Are the drives on the same IDE channel?

• If so, is one set as mater and the ohter as slave?

• Is the problem brand new?

• Does the problem drive contain a partition?

A BIOS will usually identify any working drive on the bus. My Computer, however, displays only named partitions on a drive. You can check to see if Windows XP recognizes the hardware by opening

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

All correctly installed IDE drives will be displayed as horizontal bars. If you have a non-partitioned drive, WinXP may prompt you to create a partition. If you're not prompted, then right-click the unpartitioned space and select "new partition". I haven't done this in a while, but I believe this will create one large partition using all the available space on the drive.

Post back if this doesn't help.

Piyono

1. Yes, the drives are on the same IDE channel

2. I checked all master/slave settings - one drive is master, one is slave. Both show up when the computer is booting.

3. The problem isn't new, but they never got the drive to work. They bought it, put it in, and windows never recognized it.

4. I don't know - how would I check to see if the drive has a partition?

I'm not at the computer right now, so I can't try out those things - but I'll give them a try as soon as I get the chance. i think you're probably right, and the drive just doesn't have a partition. Thanks for your help,

jer