imtim83

Do you love the new Western Digital packaging ?

Do you love the new Western Digital packaging or what?

I love it myself because now i can finally look at the serial #, LBA #, etc! That way i can find out what size platters it uses like I did with my WD1200JB i just bought a week ago for a really cheap price! Western Digital finally knows what the computer people crowd want at least! Plus i am picky lol. I sure hope other hard drive brands start use packaging like WD is ! I am someone that just needs to know the exact hard drive i am buying before i buy it!

I agree it's nice to be able to see the drive easily, though I wish they'd just use the old model numbering system instead. It's not nearly as easy for the layperson to figure out what's inside, just the discerning computer users that frequent sites like this or ask WD tech support for the serial numbers to look for. That, and I've always detested clamshell packaging. I hate having to saw through it to get to the goodies inside. Maybe it's just because I'm a natural klutz and end up threatening my fingers most of the time! :lol:

Guest Eugene
Maybe it's just because I'm a natural klutz and end up threatening my fingers most of the time!  :lol:

I cut my finger on the packaging of the WD2500JB about 2 months back... ;)

Mickey yep thats the only bad thing :( Trying open the thing is not to easy.

Oh cool Eugene replyed to my post! By the way sorry to hear about you cutting your finger. Hope your finger is ok.

Eugene just to let you know I think you and everyone else is doing a good job! I know i will love this website forever. I appreicate everything you all do and thanks for this great website! Thank you again and keep up the good work! Did i already say i love this website to death?

Actually I believe the new packaging was because of problems with drives some people were buying that had old drives in them. People somewhere, at a distribution center, or at the store or somewhere, were taking the new drives out and were putting old used sometimes dead drives in the box and sealing them back up. And putting them on the shelves for unsuspecting people to buy.

Thats just somethign that I've read though It may be the reason it may not be.

I cut my finger on the packaging of the WD2500JB about 2 months back... ;)

Way to go, Eugene! Taking one for the team... :lol:

The trick is to escalate the situation....use a box cutter with a HUGE blade. That way you can keep your fingers well away.

Of course, this won't work if you need to open a drive while on an airplane....

Can't Miss it on the page

if you tun the package face down you can see the hard drive clear as day which is the best thing ever. I hope others Follow. Just like they did with the smaller Game boxes.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/d...y/wd2500jb.html

Actually, that page doesn't include a picture of the back of the package, where it is transparent, allowing you to look directly at the label on the drive.

Dreadful.

1) The new packaging provides lesser protection.

2) It is nearly impossible to return the product after the package is opened (the main reason for the switch, no doubt).

I would not buy WD drives again.

Dreadful.

1)  The new packaging provides lesser protection.

2)  It is nearly impossible to return the product after the package is opened (the main reason for the switch, no doubt).

I would not buy WD drives again.

yeah thats true... Sometime people take pictures of the dumbest things... We want to see the back.. I can try searching again but im not too hopful.

:( Mine still come in a hermetically sealed "plastic bag."

Of course, they don't include the large mayonnaise jar or the Funk and Wagnel's.

The plastic clamshell packaging should cause an increase in the sale of gardening gloves. Invest now! :)

( Or just use your knife )

DogEared

:(  Mine still come in a hermetically sealed "plastic bag."

Of course, they don't include the large mayonnaise jar or the Funk and Wagnel's.

The plastic clamshell packaging should cause an increase in the sale of gardening gloves.  Invest now!  :)

( Or just use your knife )

DogEared

I think that those are retail drives, with the fancy packaging... Good OEM stuff comes with the ESD bag.

Cheers,

Jan

The retail package still comes in an anti-static bag (no vendor would ever sell a drive without one). But you can read the model/serial# through this.