Occupant

First Car.

Sorry to hear about your near death experience.

Don't worry, it wasn't nearly as dramatic as it came across.

Supercaff: I live in the NY suburbs in CT and pay that amount every six months! And it's on a 1998 Toyota Avalon with no accidents and only one ticket on my record. Which is another interesting story ...

I was in an accident, totaled my car (and ended up totaling a two month old brand new off the lot Ford Explorer with all the bells and whistles, but I'll get to that later) and because I was 17 at the time the car was in my parent's name. Well, I didn't need a replacement car so we didn't get one for over six months, and our insurance company ties the vehicle to the accident since you're insuring the vehicle, not the driver, and after six months with no replacement vehicle we didn't have any vehicle pick up the accident and saved a boatload of money there.

Oh, and me totaling the Explorer wasn't technically my fault. See, I rear-ended the Explorer driving a '92 Sable and so there was not a scratch on my bumper ... I went right under up to the engine block. After the car stopped it snapped up and so the engine block was resting directly on the frame of their car, and at this point the accident was considered "over". About 30ish seconds later when the Explorer pulled over to the side of the road, the point of which I didn't exactly see since obviously my car wasn't going anywhere and I was fully blocking the lane, and more to the point the insurance company didn't see the point either, the car pulling off of my cast iron block tore part of the steel frame in two, right in front of the lady's trailer hitch (I say "the lady's" although her son who had had his permit for two months was driving). So, both cars are totaled (mine was about $8000 to a $6000 car and theirs was around $100,000 to a $40,000 car) and the lady I hit didn't have collision insurance, so she got about $2000 from my insurance company and probably a couple thousand more for the scrap value and that was it.

I have full liability and collision so I would get up to the actual cash value of my car regardless of what happened to it in an accident.

The thing was, technically it was one accident in the police report and one insurance claim but the insurance company treated it like two seperate accidents: one when I hit her, the second when her son drove the car off of mine (which is where the Explorer was totaled). Since I was only responsible for the first and the second was considered as a no-fault accident, I wasn't liable for all of that damage. What I was liable for, and my insurance covered, was about $2000 for a new bumper. She didn't even get a rental car out of the deal (usually what happens when you get hit in an accident), just the $2000 for the damage I did and the scrap value, which I understand on a brand new car is about $2000 itself.

Thats odd, that they'd do that... If they called it a no-fault, they should've replaced the car. More likely they said, this is your fault... and refused to pay more... Alberta is a fault province, meaning there is no such thing as a no fault accident, everything is somebodies fault.

I figured out my milage last night... Iam getting 18 miles / gallon. strikes me as low. its not like this is a tank... mini vans now get over 30 miles to the gallon...kinda ticked about that...

Regarding low mileage... you have a POS car from 1987, don't expect more than 20miles per gallon.

Regarding sliding back on a hill, all cars do it.

Some are just idling higher so they have enough power to compensate for the downward pull.

Regarding low mileage... you have a POS car from 1987, don't expect more than 20miles per gallon.

Regarding sliding back on a hill, all cars do it.

Some are just idling higher so they have enough power to compensate for the downward pull.

I was hoping for mid-20's ... ya I know its POS, it handles like a cinderblock sled...

I had only seen cars with a standard transmition roll back, Ive never seen one with an automatic transmition roll, thats why I asked about it.

ot: what's with occupant and occupant 2?

just me, is me at home. me 2 is me at work... I have a random password, and cant remember it. I wanted to be Occupant@work but the system wouldnt allow that as a name...

well..it's officially....my parents have FINALLY approved of me getting a car. Here's the catch...I don't get it until I start work in October. *rolls eyes*. then I ask them "what about interviews?" and they just kinda laugh at me a little and tell me "you'll figure something out."

Grrr....if only they weren't paying for my schooling...then I'd be free to hate them all I want... *sigh*

Anyways, looks like that I'm going to be getting my dad's '98 Cavalier. (which isn't a bad car.) The FIRST thing I'm putting in it.....hehe...I'll let you guys take a guess at it first.....reveal the answer probably tomorrow (or after enough guesses (or lack of)). hehe.... :)

Anyways, looks like that I'm going to be getting my dad's '98 Cavalier. (which isn't a bad car.) The FIRST thing I'm putting in it.....hehe...I'll let you guys take a guess at it first.....

Two fluffy dice? :)

Yippy, at last I have found something that's actually cheaper here in Australia. My insurance is only $300.00 Australian (about $160 to $200 US depending on the strenght and direction of the wind). That's insurance for 3rd party injury, the only compulsory insurance component. I also pay about $115.00 (Australian) more for 3rd party property damage, this is optional but highly recommended.

I don't bother with "comprehesive" insurance to cover damge to my own vehicle. Its a cheap POS that I could easily replace without any financial hardship so that makes comprehensive insurance totally unnecessary IMHO.

My car is a 1990 Ford Laser BTW, only cheap but it gets me about 30 miles/gallon (12km/L). I also use my bicycle for transport when I get the chance. Not often enough though because I'm starting to become a bit of a "fat bastard", hehe :).

Insurance is about to get cheaper, Ralph is getting a lot a mail of over it... So he's promised to something about it. hopefully soon.

Anyways, looks like that I'm going to be getting my dad's '98 Cavalier. (which isn't a bad car.) The FIRST thing I'm putting in it.....hehe...I'll let you guys take a guess at it first.....

Two fluffy dice? :)

Nope.....an fuel pump switch.