knight0334

Best config for:

Hey guys! I've been lurking here for awhile, learning all there is to know. I came up with a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for in your search feature.

Here's my setup:

(2)1200MP@1533

MSI k7D Master-L

768MB PC2100 ECC REG

Adaptec 3400S 4ch SCSI U160

(4) IBM 9.1gb 10K SCA w/68pin adaptors config'd in RAID 0

typical other system hardware.

1. does anyone here use this card?

2. do you have an "optimized setup" for performance guideline that you could share?

I run WinXP Pro, been thinking about installing my copy of Win2K3 Enterprise.. I'm aware that Win2K had a slight bug that showed higher scores, but actual performance difference XP and 2K is nill.. I get around 60K to 120K scores depending on benchmark app.. Hoping to squeeze some more out of the rig with Windows system adjustments and hardware tweeks.

any suggestions??

thanx!

-Robert

hm.....

RAID 0?

that will make your seek times a bit worse

unless you NEED it for something specific just keep it at that

OH BTW

each additional drive in a RAID 0 array increases your chances of failure

Strange? how so? Because of the 4ch, 4 drive RAID ) array?? I dont keep data on HDD that I cant afford to lose(thats what CDRW and tapes are for), so I dont worry about losing anything.

If ya wanna see strange, check this out... lol : http://www.forumoc.com/forums/showthread.p...&threadid=34911

I picked the 4ch for future growth and speed, and only that. price was hard to beat on the HBA at the time.

I'm hoping to find someone thats more familiar with the 3200S/3400S series cards than what I am. Someone who has tweaked and fiddled with the HBA, Windows' registry and other settings, and BIOS/drivers.

I forgot to add this info:

running default NTFS cluster size and 128kb stripes. Rebuilding the array with 64kb stripes might be an option down the road if you guys think I'd help. I'd rather stay away from 32kb stripes though..

There isn't all that much to tweek (there was a thread here on scsi tweaking in general, you'll find it if you look). Strange because of the overclocked dual processor too. Raid 0 over 4 drives may perform worse than having 2 2 drive arrays for many things. You'll find many of the more knowledgeable here don't run raid 0 because it doesn't make most things run a significant amount faster. Really it's only good if you need massive STR on temporary data. You can play with the stripe size, but that's about the only thing I can think of that might make any real difference, unless your a benchmark junkie striving for that .0001% improvement. I would suggest spending the time to aquire a more modern set of drives. (heh. mainframe my @ss)

seek time is best with a single drive

RAID 0 is not gonna make most of your stuff faster as RealtorJ just said

if you want pure speed get Cenatek's RAM drive software and buy 4GB of RAM

I could play around with a 4 on (2ch) setup, instead of the array across (4ch), never thought to try that..

drives: modern, if they'd only make them in 9.1gb sizes. Its hard to find small drives of any format these days(IDE or SCSI), and I cant see paying a minimum of $100 for each new drive that can hold way more than I'll ever need.. I've yet to need 10gb of space for hdd storage.

mainframe: ;) lol, thats just a site theme... I didn't nickname my system, some else did a couple years ago.. it just kinda stuck..

side note question: know anything about MS Clustering compatable SCSI controllers? what's a good choice?

seek time is best with a single drive

RAID 0 is not gonna make most of your stuff faster as RealtorJ just said

if you want pure speed get Cenatek's RAM drive software and buy 4GB of RAM

Seek time is crisp, good to fast by the feel of the machine, cant seem to find an application that tests it realiably(sp?). The smaller file size transfer rate sucks though, but once the file size involved is in the 512kb+ range it moves like a Corvette on a gocart track.

That RAM drive setup would be nice to have, but the last time I checked-the price was way too much for me. :D

I had both a single ch raid controller and a nonraid before this monster I have now, neither performed any better than my IDE RAID arrangement. The 3400S smokes any of my last setups by a longshot. plus for $200 of my money invested, the 3400S was hard to pass up even though there are much better cards out there.

I'll try the (2) 2 drive array like suggested, and a 4 drive array on (2) chs. I've got plenty of time to play around with install Windoz.

knight0334 the RAM drive software is 80 USD

your drives probably cost more than that

then get some 4 1GB sticks and you're good to go

I'll have to check into the RAM drive software, not a bad price for software. ..the sticks on the other hand, ouch! lol..

Thanks for the alternative idea.

If you're positive you won't need the space, but are looking for ways to improve performance, I'd recommend changing to a RAID 10 configuration. You'll get improved seeks, similar read STR (assuming that this controller does RAID 10 properly), but possibly noticably slower write STR (which can be greatly compensated by a decent sized cache). Unless you require high write STR, this would most likely give you better overall system performance.