Davin

Maxtor Maxline Plus Ii

Through a product announcement over eight months ago, Maxtor split its ATA line into a standard(DiamondMax) and a premium (MaXLine) offering. What advantages does MaXLine deliver over DiamondMaxes? Join StorageReview as we take a look at the 250-gigabyte MaxLine Plus II.

Maxtor MaXLine Plus II Review

The Diamondmax 9 is the same as the maxline plus II series, for shame maxtor! However, at the moment that maxtor had acquired quantum, maxtor had released the fireball's successor (quantum fireball 60 AS in disquise) the d740x, and today, the d740x is one of the fastest sequencial seeking (in ms) drives on the planet in the ata form factor! But alas, maxtor is trying to burry quantum's speed legacy, with the "II" replacement, oh brother!

I just hope that they wake up and make more coventional drives. One thing that seems to be happening on SR; SR readers really seem to like the new raptor. I think that it is a great drive, but guys, for the capacity per dollar ratio, it is a far cry from a bargain!

makita

The market for "conventional" drives is certainly the biggest. I know I'd pay extra just to have a reliable, high capacity ATA drive. Western Digital really seems to have nailed this with their Caviar 8 MB buffer line. I'd love to see Maxtor (or anyone else) really compete with them so we can see some progress a la AMD vs Intel.

The result shown in the database for FrontPage 98 in High-End Winbench 99 is VERY suspicious. IMO, it must be an error. It's just too high compared to other similar drives (423 vs ~180) to be correct. This also inflates its high-end Winbench 99 scores beyond what it should be.

I somehow doubt Maxtor has optimized their drive so much for FrontPage 98. What would be the point of it, except screwing WB 99?

Please double-check this result.

Guest Eugene

You're right Coug, the high FP score was the result of an extra 0 in one of the runs within my Excel spreadsheet.

Note, however, that the error affected the FP average score only, not the HE WinMark, which remains as is.

Thanks for the headsup!

The Diamondmax 9 is the same as the maxline plus II series, for shame maxtor! However, at the moment that maxtor had acquired quantum, maxtor had released the fireball's successor  (quantum fireball 60 AS in disquise) the d740x, and today, the d740x is one of the fastest sequencial seeking (in ms) drives on the planet in the ata form factor! But alas, maxtor is trying to burry quantum's speed legacy, with the "II" replacement, oh brother!

I just hope that they wake up and make more coventional drives.  One thing that seems to be happening on SR; SR readers really seem to like the new raptor.  I think that it is a great drive, but guys, for the capacity per dollar ratio, it is a far cry from a bargain!

makita

As I couldn't find any refference in the article I have to ask that anybody has disables the "Acoustic Management" before testing access times on Maxtor IDE drives ? I know that Maxtor IDE drives are shiiped with "Acoustic Mangement" turned on and that affects the performance (quite a bit on "silent" setting). I'd say let's analize all the facts before bashing new Maxtor drives.

About the Maxline drives: I like VERY much the ideea of large capacity IDE drives that are supposed to be reliable. As I see there is a BIG demand for large capacity storage that is reliable and efficient. Where I work we have the production array (Fibre channel/Fibre channel) to feed the big servers and the developent array (Fibre channel/IDE) to store the regular stuff plus a disaster recovery array in case Osama creshes (head first preferrably) into one of the 2 arrays. Now, what's the point in having expensive drives for the disaster recovery and developement arrays ? Plus there is the the cost of energy for a bunch of drives and cooling and the array itself. With a half Gig of cache the IDE arrays are having a more than satisfactory performance and low cost. If I had Maxline drives when the arrays where built I had reliability too - now I have IBM's Deskstar GP 120 drives (yes the ones that fail often) but so far none failed. I guess the good ventilation and the fact that drives are not power up/down may have something to do with that.

Conventional drives you say ? I'm not sure what are those. I still have a 20 MB (that's not a mistake) 5" Seagate drive (MFM not IDE). Is that a conventional drive ?

i don't get it. how can the performance of a 10K rpm drive with avg access time of 8 ms be the same as that of a 7.2K rpm drive with avg access time of 13.7 ms???

Single User SR Office DriveMark 2002:

• 8.0 ms, 73 GB, 8 MB buffer, Cheetah 10K.7 ($186 street) = 407
  • 13.7 ms, 250 GB, 8 MB buffer, Maxtor MaXLine Plus II ATA-133 ($94 street) = 407
Edited by dglevy