Sign in to follow this  
Device Under Test

Disney to Begin Renting 'Self-Destructing' DVDs.

You guys are making it too hard.. just submerse your whole DVD player and DVD collection in a non cunductive liquid made for this stuff. 3M makes some that I know of.(dont recall the name)  :D

fluorinert. there was that guy in australia who put his computer in it with liquid nitrogen. good stuff.

48 hours? give me 15 minutes and i'll have it on my hard drive with smartripper. in 2 hours, InstantCopy will be done compressing the DVD and 15 minutes later my A05 will be done burning the DVD. what am i going to do with the other 45 hours?

Of course there is no end to the ingenuity of the criminal mind, but the goal is to make illegal use more difficult for the majority of consumers. ;)

JTR:

IIRC in the late 70s I found the 723 regulator with a power NPN pass transistor of medium/high hFE to be a stable, low noise choice for battery chargers, assuming that the proper compensation capacitor and protective circuitry were used. The 723 had built-in current limiting (albeit crude, due to thermal issues and noise from the low value sense resistor often used), required minimal external parts, and was readily available. I'm sure that there are better, integrated charging solutions available today.

I'm sorry, but this is such an idiotic idea, that I'm not surprised it originates from the USA. I mean idiotic in the sense that it would create millions of tons of plastic waste. Your country hasn't cared too much for environment protection until now. How long did it take to replace hamburger boxes made from styrox/styrofoam with degradable cardboard ones? This new example just shows that no progress has taken place in this sense. Uhhhh... Disney should think about our kids' future too. I usually don't think environmentally, but this is absurd. What's wrong with renting&returning?

The only way I could accept this would be that they made the disks from a material that would degrade completely (=the whole disk would disintegrate) in a year outside. This they won't do because it would cost too much and would eliminate the possible new profits they aim to achieve.

If Disney carries out this, my respect for the company will be gone.

Wow. Did you have for respect for Disney Co. up to this point? ;)

You probably would not like AOL either. They send an unbelievable number of totally useless CDs to one's home about every other month. In addition, the CDs are usually supplied in fancy, useless secondary packaging such as plastic or metal that also should be recycled, but often isn't.

Maybe they could make used disc drop offs at the store that sells the disks.... I imagine a bin labelled "EZ-DVD's only" with a little slit so DVDs go in, but not out.

The discs could be collected every week by the distributors(or 3rd parties) of the discs (remember, it has to be easy for the retailer). The distributors could then recycle or try to reuse the discs.

What's wrong with buying the disposable DVD, ripping it, and burning your own non-disposable DVD?

It violates copyright law. And probably the licensing agreement on the package.

Now if you can figure out a way to use the EZ-DVDs without copying anything then you may be doing things legally.

Oh, come on you eco-freaks, chill out and smoke a J!

Don't worry your little, green heads -- everything's gonna be alright because we're going to L E G I S L A T E our way to a clean environment! Didn't you know? Real change doesn't start at the grassroots level, by eliminating the demand for earth-killing products through proper education and through protests in the streets and all that other hippie stuff! Don't be ridiculous! Everyone knows that change for the better is introduced at the upper echelons and trickles down the pyramid into the masses.

That's right! Our MPs are the champions of our socio-ecology, and they won't rest until every clear-cutting, mineral-ripping, theiving, oil-spilling, radiation-burying, ozone-depleting, mass-producing, pollution-promiting, fossil-fuel-burning, mass-murdering, animal-testing, human-rights-abusing, community-destroying corporation is brought to justice! Let's not get caught up in the fact that your government is really just a puppet on MegaCorp's tentacle -- that's entirely coincidental and has no bearing. The bottom line is that MegaCorp and its 8-car-garage employees really do care about the social, economical and ecological environments of this planet, and are trying their very best, between golf rounds and prostitutes and dinner parties and takeovers and buyouts and hunting excursions and enjoying the finer things in life to schedule "eco" time at the next shareholders' meeting.

So rest assured dear plebian, that you, the people need not make any efforts to change your destructive lifestlyles. We in corporate-controlled governent will legislate those changes for you, sparing you the difficulty of giving up your beloved disposable, consumable conveniences. Sure, that may involve some infringments in your privacy and personal rights, but hey, isn't it worth it for the wonderful, wonderful convenience it will afford you?

Hopefully we'll all soon be brains in jars.

Piyono

PPL PPL PPL!! PLEASE!! Just rip the info on to your pc and put it in another dvd yourself!! EASY AS THAT!! No need to get dangerous and bring out other chemicals that can also be just as harmful to the environment as the disposable dvd's. PPL!! We aren't chemists here... we are pc aficionados. First use what you got (i.e. dvd ripping software) and if that doesnt work, THEN look for alternatives (chemicals). This is the safest, quickest, CHEAPEST, fastest way to solve the problem.

Of course if your to cheap to waste 3 more dollars and just copy the info from the disposable dvd into ANOTHER NON DISPOSABLE dvd, then by all means, try evey single chemical in the periodic table to prevent the disposable dvd's from becoming disposable.

Some people are clearly missing the point here. If you take the "disposable" DVD and rip it, you still throw away the disposable! The ability to copy the DVD is obvious (so obvious it was stated in the original article), and is not even worth discussing. Ranting about the blatant pollution is (although noble to some) another waste of board space. Finding a way to continue to use the "EZ-D" indefinatly, would be the ideal way to accomplish both objectives, while (possibly legally) giving the finger to the Mouse people.

I'm betting the chemical they put on the surface of the DVD that changes color when oxidized can just be peeled off like the coating on an el-cheapo CD-R. (if it was embedded below the surface of the dvd it wouldn't oxidize and might interfere with normal operation too much).

Or maybe you can wipe it off with some silver polish.

Some people are clearly missing the point here. If you take the "disposable" DVD and rip it, you still throw away the disposable! The ability to copy the DVD is obvious (so obvious it was stated in the original article), and is not even worth discussing. Ranting about the blatant pollution is (although noble to some) another waste of board space. Finding a way to continue to use the "EZ-D" indefinatly, would be the ideal way to accomplish both objectives, while (possibly legally) giving the finger to the Mouse people.

Did you consider the impact of using chemicals? You're still consuming stuff and creating waste. We want to avoid unnecessary consumption altogether.

Piyono

...you tree huggers are hopeless.

(Actually, I'm really a tree hugger in disguise... both my parents work for the EPA and TRY to do some good)

I'm surprised there were so many posts before panfilo98 mentioned how easy it would be to just burn a copy. I mean, if these things are cheaper than your average Blockbuster rental, they'll be great.

I can't believe you guys would even begin to discuss the environmental impact of disposable DVD's. That's ridiculous. We're talking about tiny little pieces of plastic. They're not radioactive. They don't contaminate the water supply. They don't kill fish. They barely take up any space. If you want to whine about the environment, there are so many more legitimate things you could talk about.

I mean, honestly, that's the stupidest thing I've heard you otherwise intelligent people say. Disposable rental DVD's would actually be good for the environment, considering most people would end up driving at least a mile each direction to return a rental.

I'm surprised there were so many posts before panfilo98 mentioned how easy it would be to just burn a copy.  I mean, if these things are cheaper than your average Blockbuster rental, they'll be great.

I can't believe you guys would even begin to discuss the environmental impact of disposable DVD's.  That's ridiculous.  We're talking about tiny little pieces of plastic.  They're not radioactive.  They don't contaminate the water supply.  They don't kill fish.  They barely take up any space.  If you want to whine about the environment, there are so many more legitimate things you could talk about.

I mean, honestly, that's the stupidest thing I've heard you otherwise intelligent people say.  Disposable rental DVD's would actually be good for the environment, considering most people would end up driving at least a mile each direction to return a rental.

dimension, what are your measurements?

Now I know that bread goes bad if I leave it on the kitchen table(as do most other foodstuff too), but a DVD that goes bad? You'd really have to hermetically seal the boxes to ensure that the disc is "fresh" when You get it... And some rental businesses could go out of business when their stock goes bad...

The idea of completely dissolving disc sounds ok though...

Jan

Now I know that bread goes bad if I leave it on the kitchen table(as do most other foodstuff too), but a DVD that goes bad? You'd really have to hermetically seal the boxes to ensure that the disc is "fresh" when You get it... And some rental businesses could go out of business when their stock goes bad...

The idea of completely dissolving disc sounds ok though...

Jan

unless you forget about it and leave it in your DVD player.