I'm looking for a new hard drive to swap my (absolutely brilliant) Samsung P80 120GB with, and have read around a lot but still in the dark.
I have average backup habits - usually once fourtnightly on average. However these days that means I could lose 100 up to hours of work, and due to other constraints (space, heat and power) RAID mirroring is out of the question, which leads me to my primary factors of concern, most to least important:
I want 2-3 years of 24/7 running out of this drive inside a well-cooled PC, and hopefully another 2-3 years in an external case. I don't want to have to have a refurb drive in the warranty period, so I'm looking for manufactuers whose drives tend to follow bathtub curves nicely (e.g. high failure rates early in life, very low failure rates until end of life).
We sometimes work in a very quiet environment. My SATA Seagate 7200.7 is too noisy while my PATA 7200.7 is acceptable. Ideally, I want the noise level of my (literally inaudible outside a fanless case) Samsung P80.
This drive MUST run cool - especially considering it will be moved into an external case later in its life.
I have the following options with prices (in $NZ - should be the comparison that matters) and notes that i have made based on reading around:
Seagate 7200.(9?) - $145
- reliability survey indicates issues with the .9 family, bad performance?
Seagate 7200.1 ES - $175
- ES seems overpriced?
WD 2500KS - $150
- Jx series seems good, KS series runs hot? Looks promising - a bit dubious about WD reliability since having two drives disintegrate with bad sectors (800JB and 800BB)
Samsung P120 - $150
- Looks to be my best bet, except reliability figures in survey not great?
Hitachi T7K250[/i[ - $150
Hitachi T7K500 - $150
- Hitachi are hard to source in New Zealand, which leads me to believe warranty would be a problem.
Samsung T133 (?) 300GB - $210
- Expensive. Not much info on T-series?
WD 3200KS 320GB - $185
- Looks fairly good and reliable? What about noise though? Lots of info on Jx series but not Kx?
Seagate 7200.10 320GB - $180
- Noisy, lottery for good drive?
As you can all see, it seems like something is at fault with every drive in my list
Does anyone have any recommendations for me, or facts to set my findings straight?