Hi everyone and please excuse my so bad english...
I'm the proud owner of 2 raptors, and I passed a very long time with WDC Support team (without a response) to understand today a very special problem:
Let's start with the Basis:
Mobo K8N-Neo2 Nforce 3 250Gb, 3500+ A64 stock, 1Gb DDR, 1 PATA DVD-Writer and XP SP2.
I build the computer a few months ago and did not put the Raptors in Raid, because I wanted to test them a few month. After 6 Months, it was ok, I was sure that both raptors was ok, and so decided to put them in Raid 0.
So i ghosted to another PATA disk my boot Raptor, created a Raid 0 32K striped array and ghosted in the other way.
Ghost speed was phenomenal, and i was impatient to see XP boot time...
Yes. From 55 secondes, I was back to 3 minutes.
So i tested with HDTach, and discovered that raw speed was about 20Mb/sec. Bad for a raid0 or raid 1 (i tested both) raptor based array !
Raptor is bad
So i booted on my P-ATA, and tested each raptor in 1drive raid0 mode vs standard mode:
Raptor 1 (Good, latest)
Raptor 2 (Bad, oldest)
To be honest, the French support team from WDC was horrible: she was not aware that it was possible to have a 1drive array, and the only think she said was:
"Test your drives with our software
For a raid 0 array, there is no need to have the same Firmware on both drive
while it is necessary for a raid 1".
So I tested different version of the NForce Driver, and found out that the problem was only with the 6.xx version of the driver, and was not in the 5.10 version.
So i switched back to 5.10 for the IDE.
It was only 100Mb/sec, but it was better than 20....
As I had a few free moments during my last vacation, I spend a long time on the new version of the driver, including 7.12, to see that it was exactly the same.
And finally, i discovered what was going on...
For version 6.xx and up, nvidia changed the default behaviour of his RAID driver: TCQ/NCQ is enabled by default. And the oldest Raptor seem to have problems with TCQ enabled.