I thought my SCSI performance still felt slow even after replacing a controller I thought had gone bad.
So started looking for a fix and found this thread.
I looked for where do download a copy of atto and didn't find one as quickly as I had hoped.
But I do have some large files so I did test with those.
My system is:
AMD 1900 XP
MSI K266 7t MB (Something like that, the book isn't handy)
1 gig ram PC2100
WD 18310 U80 18gig 10k Drive
IBM DDYS-T36940M U160 36gig 10k Drive
I have Win XP pro and RH Linux 7.3 running on the box. All the latest patches as of last night applied to both.
My NTFS was optimized before the test. Linux is running on a clean ext3 (Journaled filesystem). I am using the linux driver that ship with the OS, not the one from the Adaptec website.
I have a 699 meg data file on a linux server, so I downloaded it over a 100mbps switch using scp and started playing with it.
The scp download took (min:sec):
(scp does do encryption and I think the sending machine may have been a botltle neck on that test.)
Then I used xcopy on XP to duplicate the file to the same directory under a different name. (i.e. xcopy a.dat b.dat) On linux I used cp to do the same thing. (i.e. cp ./a.dat ./b.dat)
XP: 8:45 (2 tests, ~20 min blown)
Linux: 1:15 (4 tests, ~4 min blown)
I then copyed the file from the U160 drive to the U80 drive.
XP: :57 sec
Linux: 30 sec.
Someone mentioned that MS should hire some coders, maybe they should just copy the implementation like they did the TCP/IP stack from BSD. It is pathetic that they would be this much slower.
I paid $200+ bucks for XP pro. Linux is free.
You people are VERY nice being content with the thought that "at least they are working on it now." Maybe it will be ready in a few more months.
If this isn't fixed Monday with SP1, I think we need to start putting their heads on the Linux Journal Pike and get this published everywhere we can. Being nice and quite since March hasn't gotten this fixed. $ matters to M$. Being nice isn't getting this fixed.
I bought a new controller thinking my old trusty Tekram was the problem. My new controller is no faster in XP though it is a very fast controller.
Sandra put my performance on par with a U66 IDE drive.
I am not at all happy with this. I will test again with the new numbers as soon as I can get SP1 installed.