Ran across this and thought it was interesting. Iâ€™m sure it will p**s off some of the right wingers here. Itâ€™s always amazing to realize that (probably like most of the right wingers that visit here) the ones that never served are always the ones most anxious to sacrifice other peoples lives for something they believe in. And also to question others loyalty/patriotism.
Illinois State Sen. Howard W. Carroll (D) thought
you might find this interesting.
* Richard Gephardt: Air National Guard, 1965-71.
* David Bonior: Staff Sgt., Air Force 1968-72.
* Tom Daschle: 1st Lt., Air Force SAC 1969-72.
* Al Gore: enlisted Aug. 1969; sent to Vietnam
Jan. 1971 as an army journalist in 20th Engineer Brigade.
* Bob Kerrey: Lt(jg). Navy 1966-69; Medal of Honor,
* Daniel Inouye: Army 1943-47; Medal of Honor,
* John Kerry: Lt., Navy 1966-70. Silver Star,
Bronze Star with Combat V, Purple Hearts. Attacked by
Republicans for not giving enough.
* Charles Rangel: Staff Sgt., Army 1948-52;
Bronze Star, Korea.
* Max Cleland: Captain, Army 1965-68; Silver
Star & Bronze Star, Purple Heart. Vietnam. Paraplegic from war
injuries. Served in Congress. Attacked by Republicans
for not giving enough.
* Ted Kennedy: Army, 1951-53.
* Tom Harkin: Lt., Navy, 1962-67; Naval Reserve,
* Jack Reed: Army Ranger, 1971-1979; Captain,
Army Reserve 1979-91.
* Fritz Hollings: Army officer in WWII; Bronze Star,
seven campaign ribbons
* Leonard Boswell: Lt. Col., Army 1956-76;
Vietnam, two DFC, two Bronze Star, and Soldier's Medal.
* Pete Peterson: Air Force Captain, POW. Purple Heart,
Silver Star and Legion of Merit.
* Mike Thompson: Staff sergeant, 173rd Airborne,
* Bill McBride: Candidate for Fla. Governor.
Marine in Vietnam; Bronze Star with Combat V.
* Gray Davis: Army Captain in Vietnam, Bronze Star.
* Pete Stark: Air Force 1955-57
* Chuck Robb: Marine Corps 1961-70
* George McGovern: Silver Star & DFC during
* Bill Clinton: Did not serve. (Student deferments.
Entered draft but received #311).
* Jimmy Carter: Seven years in the Navy.
* Walter Mondale: Army 1951-1953
* John Glenn: WWII and Korea; six DFCs and
AirMedal with 18 Clusters.
* Tom Lantos: Served in Hungarian underground
in WWII. (Saved by Raoul Wallenberg).
* Dick Cheney: did not serve. (Multiple
deferments, the last by marriage. Said he was to
important to serve in the military.)
* Dennis Hastert: did not serve.
* Tom Delay: did not serve.
* Roy Blunt: did not serve.
* Bill Frist: did not serve.
* Mitch McConnell: did not serve.
* Rick Santorum: did not serve.
* Trent Lott: did not serve.
* John Ashcroft: did not serve. (Seven
deferments to teach business)
* Jeb Bush: did not serve.
* Karl Rove: did not serve.
* Saxby Chambliss: did not serve. (Bad knee.)
* Paul Wolfowitz: did not serve.
* Vin Weber: did not serve.
* Richard Perle: did not serve.
* Douglas Feith: did not serve.
* Eliot Abrams: did not serve.
* Richard Shelby: did not serve.
* Jon! Kyl: did not serve.
* Tim Hutchison: did not serve.
* Christopher Cox: did not serve.
* Newt Gingrich: did not serve.
* Don Rumsfeld: served in Navy (1954-57) as
* George W. Bush: Part time National Guard pilot.
Successfully dodged the draft and Viet-Nam service
but never completed his six year commitment.
* Ronald Reagan: due to poor eyesight, served
in a non- combat role making movies.
* Bob Dole: Lt Army during WW II. Two Purple Hearts,
Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster
* Bob Dornan: Air Force 1952-58
* Phil Gramm: did not serve. (five college deferments)
* John McCain: Vietnam, POW, Silver Star, Bronze
Star, Legion of Merit,
Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross.
Attacked by the Bush regime for lack of
* Dana Rohrabacher: did not serve.
* John M. McHugh: did not serve.
* JC Watts: did not serve.
* Jack Kemp: did not serve. "Knee problem"
(although continued in NFL for 8 years as
* Dan Quayle: Journalism unit of the Indiana
* George H. W. Bush (Senior): Army Air Force 1942-45
DFC, three Air Medals
* Rudy Giuliani: did not serve.
* George Pataki: did not serve.
* Spencer Abraham: did not serve.
* John Engler: did not serve.
* Lindsey Graham: National Guard lawyer.
* Arnold Schwarzenegger: AWOL from Austrian
Pundits, Preachers, and others:
* Sean Hannity: did not serve.
* Rush Limbaugh: did not serve (4-F with a
* Bill O'Reilly: did not serve.
* Michael Savage: did not serve.
* George Will: did not serve.
* Chris Matthews: did not serve.
* Paul Gigot: did not serve.
* Bill Bennett: did not serve.
* Pat Buchanan: did not serve.
* Bill Kristol: did not serve.
* Kenneth Starr: did not serve.
* Antonin Scalia: did not serve.
* Clarence Thomas: did not serve.
* Ralph Reed: did not serve.
* Michael Medved: did not serve.
* Charlie Daniels: did not serve.
* Ted Nugent: did not serve.