Photo

how long does low level format take on 80gb drive?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LeeM

LeeM

• 91 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:59 PM

When and why it should/shouldn't be done?

#2 russofris

russofris

• 2,120 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:45 PM

Modern IDE drives should not be low level formated (some don't even have the capability to LLF). Use a vendor to re-zero the drive. IBM has DFT, WD has their DLT, and maxtor has their MaxBlast software.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

#3 Ralf Hutter

Ralf Hutter

• 128 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 01:10 PM

I just "re-zeroed" an 80GB Barracuda IV before I RAM'ed it. Took about 10 hours.

#4 Ralf Hutter

Ralf Hutter

• 128 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 01:16 PM

Well, if SR would let me edit my post I'd edit it to read:

"I just "re-zeroed" an 80GB Barracuda IV before I RMA'ed it. Took about 10 hours."

But I can't edit so I'll have to post this instead.

#5 freeborn

freeborn

Posted 08 February 2003 - 01:18 PM

I just "re-zeroed" an 80GB Barracuda IV before I RAM'ed it. Took about 10 hours.

What software did you use? I cannot imagine a fairly modern 80g drive taking more than an hour to complete a sequential write in udma mode 5.

Free
I drank what? -Socrates

#6 Sivar

Sivar

• 3,465 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 06:31 PM

Re-zeroing my WD1000BB (100GB WD drive) with dd takes, subjectively, about 1-2 hours.
"No matter how far you've gone down the wrong road, TURN BACK."

#7 russofris

russofris

• 2,120 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 06:47 PM

What software did you use? I cannot imagine a fairly modern 80g drive taking more than an hour to complete a sequential write in udma mode 5.

Free

It is entirely possible that the tool that he used was like DFT, where it writes a zero to a sector and then tries to read from it to determine if a sector is bad. A drive with bad sectors will take significantly longer than a good drive with these apps.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

#8 Ralf Hutter

Ralf Hutter

• 128 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 09:08 PM

Free

It is entirely possible that the tool that he used was like DFT, where it writes a zero to a sector and then tries to read from it to determine if a sector is bad. A drive with bad sectors will take significantly longer than a good drive with these apps.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

I used Seagates' "Seatools" off a floppy. I was RMAing a brand-new drive that was vibrating like crazy. I don't know if it had any bad sectors or not.

#9 CityK

CityK

• 968 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 11:58 PM

I zero'd a 40GB Quantum FB AS recently, using WD's wdclear, and it took roughly an hour.

CK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users