• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Davin

Davin

Administrator

• 281 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 10:55 PM

The Barracuda ATA V is the first drive to hit the channels that incorporates the long-awaited Serial ATA interface. The SATA 'Cuda is also the first ATA drive from Seagate to feature an 8-megabyte buffer. How does it rate? Let's take a look!

Review of the Seagate Barracuda ATA V, Serial ATA Version
Join SR's D2OL Team. Click here to find out how!

#2 nesroht

nesroht

• 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 11:54 AM

I definitely like the low noise level of there drives but they are just too slow for me to consider buying one. I'm inclined to go for the IBM 180GXP/120GB, but would like to see how the new 7200.7 performs before I decide. I haven't been able to find out when these drives will be available - does anyone have this information?

- Thanks, Peter

#3 ZStation

ZStation

• 999 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 01:49 PM

Komplett had a small stock a few days ago, but they're out again. Now listed as "Bought to Order (3 days)".

#4 otoc

otoc

• 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 01:53 PM

The promise card that was used in the test, is it using pata to sata converter technology? I checked the promise site and didn't find the answer.

If not, I wonder how the drive would perform without the added overhead. Guess I'll find out next month when mine arrive.

#5 nesroht

nesroht

• 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 01:58 PM

I was unclear in my previous question - does anyone know when the Barracuda 7200.7 drives will be available?

- Thanks, Peter

#6 otoc

otoc

• 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 02:58 PM

I've seen nothing regarding availablity. The first marketing info went online this past week. So if we take the lessons learned from the V-sata's, then 3-6 months. :roll:

#7 lexu8

lexu8

• 129 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 07:36 PM

What's a poor performance for SATA Drive! As much as I'd like to get my hand on the new SATA Drive, I'll just gonna stick with WD2000JBs/WD1800JBs and IBM 180GB 180GXPs (185GB/8MB) for now :roll:

#8 Prof.Wizard

Prof.Wizard

Posted 12 January 2003 - 09:53 AM

Please DO confront the drive with a same-capacity drive for final conclusions.
The drive runs decently and its winning card is its awesome noise-emission levels.
Posted Image
"If humans were intelligent enough to understand the workings of their own brains, their brains would be too complex for them to understand..."

#9 sharkeeper

sharkeeper

• 129 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 05:38 PM

OMG this drive didn't get the safe buy award! It must really be horrible! 8O

Cheers!

#10 Slides

Slides

• 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 11:34 PM

Where do you get the SATA power cables? Do they come with the driver or the motherboard?

#11 Slides

Slides

• 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 11:35 PM

Drive not driver. Where's the edit button? :oops:

#12 drizzt81

drizzt81

• 469 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 05:52 AM

wow.. this drive appears to be really bad. I am glad that i do not need a new HDD now.. but in 2-3 months i was a SATA drive.. hopefully the companies get off their buttocks!

#13 Lazn_Work

Lazn_Work

• 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 05:21 PM

Silly question:

I know that with a SATA - PATA adaptor you can use a PATA drive on a SATA interface, but how about the other way around? Can you put the adaptor on the MB PATA connector and use a SATA drive that way?

==>Lazn

#14 HisMajestyTheKing

HisMajestyTheKing

• 5,000 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 07:28 AM

The 1 year warranty is what bugs me. At least other manufacturers' 8 MB cache drives have a 3 year warranty.

#15 kasi

kasi

• 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:48 AM

Lazn_Work
Yes I think you can use a SATA drive on a PATA motherboard by using a IDE Host to SATA bridge similar to this one:
http://www.sunix.com.../sabr2000hh.htm.

#16 kasi

kasi

• 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:52 AM

Sorry my link doesn't work and I don't know how to edit. Anyway the part I was trying to link to uses the Marvell 88i8030 chip.

#17 Lazn_Work

Lazn_Work

• 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:11 PM

kasi, I found the device you were trying to link to. Very cool. But it looks like it needs to be specifically built for that purpose.. meaning more $$ than just reversing the standard adaptors.

==>Lazn

#18 Lazn_Work

Lazn_Work

• 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:21 PM

kasi, I found the device you were trying to link to. Very cool. But it looks like it needs to be specifically built for that purpose.. meaning more $$ than just reversing the standard adaptors.

==>Lazn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users