6TB UK

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 simonmsh

simonmsh

• 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

I'm looking for a 6TB disk to fit in a small home server, it's not a RAID configuration. I use it as a development database server, so it works hard. Performance is fairly important, but moderate power consumption also desirable.

Availability of 6TB disks in the UK is currently limited. I'd prefer to avoid buying from overseas. The only one offered by my usual supplier (Amazon.co.uk) is the Western Digital Red 6TB. This disk is designed for use in home/small office RAID arrays and NAS systems, but are there any reasons it would not be suitable for my use ?

Alternatively, would anyone like to guess when the other 6TB disks available in the US will become available in the UK ?

Edited by simonmsh, 28 August 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

It's not a performance drive is your main concern. I'd guess the HGST He drives are available there, but the high price is a problem...then again, you get more performance. 

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 simonmsh

simonmsh

• 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

I think you're right that the Red might not be fast enough. I'm currently using a 4TB 7200rpm Hitachi drive, and a get annoyed waiting for that to complete database operations. I guess I will have to wait for some consumer-priced 7200rpm 6TB disks to arrive here.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

There's always flash for some of the smaller but more used DBs...or caching. 

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 739 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

I second that an automatic flash cache of your current hot data in the database is probably the way to go. Any 7.2k rpm HDD will still feel very slow in comparison. There are some dedicated Cache SSDs, or if your mainboard allows you might be able to use Intel SRT. Or maybe the database software itself offers caching.. that could be really smart, but they might charge an arm and a leg for it.

MrS

#6 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

If you're already feeling slow with a 4TB 7200rpm disk... yeah, it sounds like you're going to need something faster. A two-disk RAID1 might help with reads, but it's not going to help with writes. I assume going SSD or at least SSD for cache is not realistic?

#7 Valleyforge

Valleyforge

• 134 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:16 AM

Try and hold off a few months, there should be better availability of bigger drives.

But, as others have said, you really want to be using a SSD for the DB stuff and just use a spinner for your big 'slow' data.

Laptop: Dell inspiron E7440, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 mSATA, Win7 Pro
Workstation: i5-4690K, Z97I-Plus, H100i, Obsidian 250D, 480GB Crucial M500, 1TB WD Black, Win8.1 Pro, Hyper-V

NAS: Asustor AS-604T, 3GB RAM, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 & 2x4TB HGST NAS

HTPC:Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

HTPC 2:Intel NUC DN2820, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users