• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ellusionist

ellusionist

• 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hello,

Something here is driving me nuts. I have been looking at the WD4001FYYG 4TB SAS. The drive only has 32MB of Cache, when comparing to the Seagate 4TB ES3 ST4000NM0023, the later has 128 MB of cache. Will this make a noticable difference if the main storage items are VM's and Large RAW photos?

Thanks!

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Trying to be delicate when I answer this, but looking into my crystal ball, I don't see why WD would keep selling a SAS product. They dipped a toe into that market but haven't committed to it. Makes more sense to leave that business for HGST and hope Seagate doesn't skim any of it off in the mean time. I'd go with the Seagate if it were me. That said, you're looking at NAS, SATA drives will be fine there depending on pricing, you may look that way also.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:30 AM

Cache amount is not very relevant, firmware optimizations to take advantage of said cache amount are.

In other words, look at benchamrks for the drives themselves in your applications or similar-- don't worry about how much cache they have or don't have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users