• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

The AMD Radeon R7 Series SSD offers some up-side with endurance and a high MTBF rating, but performance and current pricing hold it back in a market that's full of options. 

AMD Radeon R7 Series SSD Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 742 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

I wish AMD would have done something special if they put their name onto an SSD. Like giving us an affordable M.2 value drive.

MrS

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

It's not the first licensing deal done, not even the first by OCZ...but yeah, had higher hopes.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 CrazyElf

CrazyElf

• 32 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

I wish AMD had done something unique, like a cool NAND/Controller combo. Something like what Corsair did with the Neutron GTX series. I guess Seagate's SSD's could be considered something of a copycat in that regard.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

The problem is, there are fewer options. SandForce controllers are very late and who knows what Seagate is going to do with them. There's Silicon Motion, but everything we've seen from them has been a dog. LAMD still out there too, but again, a very small team. There aren't as many choices as it may appear.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 CrazyElf

CrazyElf

• 32 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Last I heard, Hynix (which bought LAMD) did not want anyone using their Controller without using Hynix NAND too. I can see the problem there. Maybe there could have been some sort of partnership, since Hynix lacks the distribution that the others have. Maybe they will give these away in bundles or something. Otherwise, there's little reason to choose this over the Vertex and Vector unless the price of these is better than the Vertex.

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

I was thinking the same thing on the bundles, buy a high-end GPU and find one of these strapped to the side ;) Or maybe an all AMD upgrade kit that has several components. Who knows...

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users