Photo

When will we start seeing large numbers of M.2 SSDs?

m.2ssd new product upcoming

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyElf

CrazyElf

• 38 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

When will we start seeing the rapid proliferation of M.2 SSDs?

Right now Samsung for example offers the XP 941 as an OEM SSD to various large computer makers, but not to end consumers (ex: not available to buy off Newegg).

A few of the others have M.2 SSDs. Plextor offers one for consumers with a PCI-E adaptor.

At the moment, they seem to be mostly niche products, and they carry quite a premium in terms of cost:capacity over their SATA3 counterparts. When do you think this will change?

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Why would it change? It's a low-demand form factor.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 CrazyElf

CrazyElf

• 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Why would it change? It's a low-demand form factor.

The question I have is, will it take off?

The issue I see is that SATA 3 is more or less fully saturated. SSDs are bottlenecked by it.

Right now there does seem to be some adoption of M.2 SSDs in OEM laptops, but less elsewhere, although I hear the Samsung XP941 was out of stock because of demand.

Edited by CrazyElf, 20 July 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

SSDs really aren't bottlenecked by SATA3. Maybe at the burst in some cases, but that's not what SSDs are doing most of the time. The Samsung may be out of stock because of their deal with HP, not sure about demand for that specific drive. Thing is, in the small notebook space it's getting harder and harder to upgrade drives, especially the smaller M.2 style drives that come nearly integrated in some cases. If M.2 takes off it will be in compact computing and maybe embedded solutions where there's little upgrade market anyway. 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 CrazyElf

CrazyElf

• 38 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:57 AM

I was thinking motherboards, especially the newer Z97 ones seem to come with M.2 slots

I wonder if this will someday become mainstream.

Edit: Image seems to be blocked:

asrock-z97-extreme6-ultra-m2-socket_2.jp

Edited by CrazyElf, 22 July 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

I just can't imagine why...I get the allure but with new standard form factor interfaces coming, it's just hard for me to envision the M.2 taking off outside of small form factors. Then again I thought the 8 track would last until 2020 so what do I know? 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 CrazyElf

CrazyElf

• 38 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Supposedly to in the Skylake chipsets, Intel may be officially supporting M.2 and Sata Express now.

#8 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:57 AM

The added bandwidth of PCI-e via M.2 in theory is nice... but in reality, actual consumer use isn't going to see much difference til it becomes the standard everywhere.

Given Intel 9-series limitations on PCI-e/SATA Express and delays in getting SATA Express SSD chipsets into consumer hands, I would agree it may take another generation to become widespread.

Seeing performance benefits is going take native PCI-e SSD controllers, and given that SSDs are well on their way to becoming commodity items, the price premium is going to have to be fairly modest at best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users