Crucial M500 SSD Swap Issues

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 09smurfGT

09smurfGT

• 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:46 AM

Hey guys, new to the forums but wanted to bounce a question off of some of the more seasoned members. I was really big into computers and building/programming etc. about 10 years ago but since so much time has passed and tech advanced I feel pretty stupid. I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5132 that was running a 250GB SATA HDD. I had to replace the keyboard, screen and fan and figured while I was in there I would replace the hard drive with a nice new SSD from Crucial. I purchased the Crucial M500 240GB drive. After fiddling with it for a while to make window 7 recognize it as an actual hard disk instead of a CD Rom I used EaseUS to clone the drive. The first time I cloned it, it took nearly 3 hours and finished with 0 errors. After removing the old drive entirely and trying to boot from my new cloned SSD the system had an error and would not boot. I ensured that ACHI was selected in the system BIOS and that the boot order included the SSD. I am currently in the process of re-cloning the drive to see if that helps. Also the first time that I had cloned the drive it changed the OS drive letter to F. I can imagine that this would cause a major issue, and now this time that I am cloning it has selected the A: drive to clone to. If anyone has any suggestions on how to clone it in a way that would allow the SSD to retain the C: as the OS letter I would bet this could solve my problem. I appreciate any help and if you need more info please feel free to ask. Thanks!

-Max

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

I'd recommend a fresh install of Windows rather than a clone, if you have the time for it. Will the machine see the drive when it's fresh rather than in a cloned state?

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

1. Make sure only 1 drive is connected while booting.

2. If the BIOS see the SSD, then I would check to see if the number of partitions match. Windows stores boot information on a small partition and if that didn't get cloned it may not boot. Sometimes googling that error message will give you some tools/commands to run that can remidy the problem.

• See if 'Sector by sector' clone for the EaseUs makes a difference
  • You may have to expand the partition later to use the full disk.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#4 hyc

hyc

• 99 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

Cloning Windows drives can be a pretty pointless exercise. The FAT filesystem used C/H/S block addressing so if your new drive's geometry didn't match the old, none of your files would be found.

#5 Valleyforge

Valleyforge

• 126 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:13 AM

Cloning Windows drives can be a pretty pointless exercise. The FAT filesystem used C/H/S block addressing so if your new drive's geometry didn't match the old, none of your files would be found.

This is terrible advice, and totally inaccurate. 

Laptop: Dell inspiron E7440, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 mSATA, Win7 Pro
Workstation:FX6300@4.5GHz, 32GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500, 1TB WD Black, Win8.1 Pro, Hyper-V

NAS: Asustor AS-604T, 3GB RAM, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 & 2x4TB HGST NAS

HTPC:TranquilPC ABEL H2, i3-4010U, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

HTPC 2:Intel NUC DN2820, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users