samsungnvme new ssd pci-e m.2

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyElf

CrazyElf

• 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Samsung seems to be hosting their summit right now in Korea. Looks like there are already NVMe drives coming in:

http://www.thessdrev...it-2014-update/

The first one is an already released product.

SM1715 is a new PCI-E drive?

SM953 looks to be a new M.2 and probably the successor to the XP941?

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Hard to say, we don't go to that event and it's LOL to have it during a holiday week in the US, oh well, I guess others can cover it for us. Samsung didn't communicate at all about the event to those who didn't go.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 CrazyElf

CrazyElf

• 32 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

I suppose it's their choice. Samsung's other divisions have set their own times for other products that they've made.

The only other interesting thing is apparently the 845DC Pro is going to be $1.50-$2.00/GB USD.

To be honest these days, I'm not sure what is different about enterprise SSDs. The MEX controller is identical at 400 MHz. NAND model is different (845DC Pro has K9PKGY8S7M-CCK0). But it seems like the massive price premium is for tantalum caps? Hmm ... perhaps I should not complain. High enterprise costs means that the R&D is paid by them and the end product is available to us ... at near variable costs. Only thing I would like to see is more power protection on consumer SSDs, a direction some manufacturers like Micron are moving to.

Edited by CrazyElf, 02 July 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

I was surprised honestly to see that in the MX100, but now that it's there, I'd bet we'll see more caps in client drives. 

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 CrazyElf

CrazyElf

• 32 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

I was surprised honestly to see that in the MX100, but now that it's there, I'd bet we'll see more caps in client drives. 

In my opinion, it was simply inevitable.

The SSD is a market where competition has become intense, and as a result, margins have become quite thin. Anything that you can do, even temporary, to get an advantage, is a good thing going for you.

For that reason, integrating power loss protection into a consumer SSD was inevitable. The others will have to copy. I wonder if they will start putting high end capacitors into consumer SSDs at some point.

#6 Valleyforge

Valleyforge

• 134 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

Adding caps to a SSD is probably adding less than 50cents to the build costs, SMD caps are cheap.  I don't know why they haven't been standard since SSDs came out.

Laptop: Dell inspiron E7440, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 mSATA, Win7 Pro
Workstation: i5-4690K, Z97I-Plus, H100i, Obsidian 250D, 480GB Crucial M500, 1TB WD Black, Win8.1 Pro, Hyper-V

NAS: Asustor AS-604T, 3GB RAM, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 & 2x4TB HGST NAS

HTPC:Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

HTPC 2:Intel NUC DN2820, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users