unformatted free space

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nikki8

nikki8

• 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

I've recently bought some 1TB Seagate external hard drives (formatted in NTFS) and some PNY 64GB flash drives (formatted in FAT32), and all of them have about 2MB of unallocated space on them. Does anyone know the purpose of this?

I intend to reformat them anyway, so will it matter if I use the 2MB? Presumably the unallocated space was left for a reason.

Thanks

#2 anywhere

anywhere

• 47 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Is it the file system?

Try a zero fill with dd from /dev/null. Then fdisk. Then try xfs/ext/jfs/jfs2/btrfs, see if they have same results.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

#3 nikki8

nikki8

• 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Is it the file system?

Try a zero fill with dd from /dev/null. Then fdisk. Then try xfs/ext/jfs/jfs2/btrfs, see if they have same results.

Was this answer meant for a different thread? It doesn't seem to relate to my question.

(Incidentally /dev/zero is used for zero-filling a drive under Linux.)

#4 reader50

reader50

• 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

If the space shows as available, you can use it.

The exact size available on a new drive will vary after they reserve replacement blocks, and map out any bad blocks. They probably use a standard format size (the drive's official size or bigger), which will be a little lower than actual free space.

Edited by reader50, 29 June 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#5 anywhere

anywhere

• 47 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Was this answer meant for a different thread? It doesn't seem to relate to my question.
(Incidentally /dev/zero is used for zero-filling a drive under Linux.)

M$ doesn't have such a thing?

Hmm. Bummer. I use it all the time to ensure maximum device usage. Maybe commercial software should include something as flexible as open source?

But as mentioned, maybe it's factory reserved blocks your fighting. Play with hdparm? Oh, sorry, that's another free Linux tool.

Good luck.

Edited by anywhere, 05 July 2014 - 04:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users