Photo

What motherboard do you use with your 3ware controller?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chrispitude

chrispitude

• 80 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

I have a trusty 3ware 9650SE-4LPML that has served me well for many years, and I have no desire to upgrade it. I would, however, like to upgrade the aging AMD socket AM2 motherboard and CPU that hosts it. The problem is, I read of many people going through painful trial-and-error to find motherboards that work with these controllers. They'll plug into the socket, but the card's not recognized, the machine crashes, the drives aren't recognized, etc. Apparently some motherboards expect only a graphics card to be plugged into their >x1 slots. Of course, many of these storires are now also several years old.

So...

What recently modern motherboard are you using with your 3ware controller? I'm especially interested in any AM3+ boards with onboard video that happen to work. :)

Thanks!

- Chris

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

With a 3ware specifically or a RAID controller in general?

Modern boards since at least Sandy Bridge (P67-era) chipsets generlaly have much more complete PCI-e implementations and things work much better.

Back in the old Socket AM2 era (as well as LGA775, etc.) yes, compatibility was much more of an issue, however at least the last three generations of Intel chips (9-series, 8-series, 7-series) it generally isn't much of an issue.

Sadly I have only limited exposure to Socket AM3+ boards on AMD 9-series and 8-series chipset...

Check Xtremesystems.org forums maybe? They do a lot more discussion on this sort of thing there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users