• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JamesBradley

JamesBradley

• 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hi there, 

I plan to buy a 2TB external hard drive and need some advice on which to choose. I found some for around £50-70 which were Western Digital, Toshiba, Samsung, Seagate

I have done some research and read bad things about Seagate mostly, but I couldn't find which one was the best to go for, everything just seems to be talking about not going for Seagate..
so I though I should ask the experts.. what I really need to know is which brand is most reliable and the best choice really and any other advice I would really appreciate, 

Thank you

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

They're all commodity products at this point, buy whatever's cheapest or happens to strike your fancy.

#3 Valleyforge

Valleyforge

• 134 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

I've had much better luck with Seagate externals than with WD.  I routinely buy Seagate externals just to harvest the mechanisms.  So there's a pro-Seagate anecdote for you.

Laptop: Dell inspiron E7440, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 mSATA, Win7 Pro
Workstation: i5-4690K, Z97I-Plus, H100i, Obsidian 250D, 480GB Crucial M500, 1TB WD Black, Win8.1 Pro, Hyper-V

NAS: Asustor AS-604T, 3GB RAM, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 & 2x4TB HGST NAS

HTPC:Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

HTPC 2:Intel NUC DN2820, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

#4 Nikhil P

Nikhil P

• 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:16 AM

i had a WD Passport essentials which crashed in less than a year.. the body of that HDD was kinda fragile and prone to scratches and shocks... better than that is a seagate HDD which has rugged feel to it... it also has an adapter that can be connected o the sata port of desktop motherboards... so u get a hard drive than can be used with ur dektop and laptop...

hope this helps!!!

Marketing Analyst 

OpStor

http://www.manageeng...roducts/opstor/

#5 tweeetr

tweeetr

• 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

longest warranty.

go for one with a 5 year warranty,

keep a back up your data and check the discs every month or so for errors with the official software ie datalifeguard WD.

#6 JamesBradley

JamesBradley

• 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

longest warranty.

go for one with a 5 year warranty,

keep a back up your data and check the discs every month or so for errors with the official software ie datalifeguard WD.

Most I found was 3 years on the samsung one, but apparently samsung are now owned by seagate so I should avoid the samsung? 

I cannot find one with a 5 year warranty, is there such a hard drive? 

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Probably not in this class...and there's no reason to avoid the Seagate. You'll either have a problem or you won't, doesn't matter which brand you go with. 

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users