Photo

External Portable Drive Question SSD vs USB3 vs x

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

I want to have access to a ~50GB Lotus Notes database on a portable device. The database is in NSF format and contains about 150k documents. I would use the search functions a lot to find and locate files. Means a lot of (random?) I/O

My laptop is a X201, sadly a bit dated. USB3 is not built into the X201, I'd use a Seagate USB3 Express Card.

I want to explore these options, happy to hear any other suggestions:

a) 64/120GB SSD via USB3

B) 64/128GB USB3 memory stick (I/O questionable)

c) 64/128GB fast SD Card via the built-in card reader (I'd love this if the I/O performance would be good enough)

d) copy the file onto the HDD (not possible)

So, I assume random access is vastly better on a SSD vs SD card vs USB memory stick. 

AHappy to hear any thoughts, suggestions, etc..THANKS!

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

I assume this will be a copy of the database, so data integrity isn't your biggest concern. How big are the files? Will you be writing much or at all? What's the frequency of database calls going to be?

I can't imagine the load will be that much, so one person making single calls at a time is pretty lightweight compared to hundreds making thousands...hard to know how efficient the database is though and there are of course many other variables. If you're going to use it a lot, I'd be inclined to go with an SSD, just to use something designed for the job. The SSD will also be better able to take care of itself with background processes than the other flash you're considering.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for your reply brian.

1) It's a 55GB single database file. The  storage device only sees the "file.nsf"

Contains 150k email conversations, including all kinds of attachments. 

2) Correct, data integrity is not really an issue, I can grab the file from a back-ups pretty much anytime again (however, super slow connection to that server ->  the reason to have the local access.

3) I will be the only one working on this file. Lotus Notes would do the indexing, lots of searching manually/and with built-in search functions - eventually found items wound then be copied to the main machine.

I have worked with large files like this in the past and the more raw I/O power the better/faster. The snappier the better.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

Yes, this feels like an SSD solution then. You'd spend half your time crying in your coffee if you tried this with an SD card I think. You *might* be able to get away with it on one of SanDisk's newer USB drives, they're very quick. But in the end, there's really only one right answer for this. The next question is which one? What's the budget?

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

Budget is about $100 so no real showstopper. A decent 128GB SSD with USB3 enclosure can be had for less. Would then plug it into the 

I almost want to explore SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SD card, but can't seem to find the Card Reader.

Since the X201 laptop has USB2 only, can I assume the card reader won't be faster, either?

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

Indeed. Can't you get them to buy you a modern machine? This is very sad ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

Wouldn't touch a SD card or typical USB flash drive with this-- even if the SD card has the performance, your SD controller built in to your laptop almost certainly does not. And anything connected via USB is going to be hampered severely by the USB 2.0 interface.

#8 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 66 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

If you get a USB 3 Controller, these products could be Interesting for you:

http://supertalent.c...3.0 Express RC4

http://www.sandisk.c...es/extremepro3/

http://www.sandisk.c.../drives/ultra3/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users