• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elias

elias

• 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hello to everybody!

I have a question about my electricaly damaged Seagate momentus 5200 250gb.

I have changed the pcb with another pcb of the same model.The pcb DIDN'T have the same serial....the drive spins now but nothing else.My win pc see the drive o disc managment but it wont let me even initialiaze it.

Here is the question:Is it absolutely necessery to swap the bios chip from the one pcb to the other or if i find the exact same pcb circuit maybe the hdd will work without changing the chip?I m asking because the bios chip is probably destroyed from a mistake i did.... :D

Thanks in advance!!

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

The PCB swap rarely works well. Sometimes it works fine but most often there are subtle enough differences between builds that it will not. I assume there's data on the drive you're trying to recover. What's going on?

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 elias

elias

• 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

Hello Brian ,thanks for the quick reply!!

Yes you assume right..I really want the data on the disc!But i want the exact same disc cause i need to perform a software recovery when i fix it.So in a few lines i need to find deleted data on my not working disc..... i know its long shot..... :P  :P(A recovery data company is asking 500-1200 euros for the job ) 

But i think at the time the heads and the disc are ok.The old pcb is 100% burned(i can see it)...I think i will give a try to buy the exact same pcb and give it a try..Do you think that WITHOUT the bios chip swaped i have possibility to make it work?

Thanks!!!!

#4 elias

elias

• 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Guiderecovery i will probably be able to do that tommorow.I just wnat you to know that the broken pcb is not in a very good state.....I tried to remove the bios chip fromt he board,but the chip wasnt glued to the 8 pins but also to the board!!so i stressed it a lot...If i have to use that chip i dont know if it will work at all.....But if you have any other ideas i will be more than glad to hear them,,:)

Thanks for the reply!!

#5 elias

elias

• 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

Sorry for the delay i was out of town!!:)Here are 2 pics of my burned pcb

In the up right corner is the place were the bios chip was (brutally:)) removed....Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!

Attached File  20140422_154645.jpg   155.67KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20140422_154653.jpg   136.13KB   0 downloads

Edited by elias, 22 April 2014 - 08:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users