• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Seagate has announced that it is now shipping the world’s fastest 6TB hard disk drive, the Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4. The Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4 is a significant step forward in scale-out data infrastructures, providing supersize storage and enterprise reliability to meet the exponential growth of corporate and cloud-based data centers.

Seagate Enterprise Capacity v4 6TB HDD Now Available

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

The 5TB's popped up a few days ago in stock (!) in a few places, apparently they were just a precursor to the official announcement of both the 5TB and 6TB!

Hmm, checking the pricing (generally SATA, no encyption) Provantage shows $330 for the older 4TB, $431 for the 5TB, and $569 for the 6TB. Percentage-wise with the 4TB as a baseline, that's 30% more for 25% more storage (4TB to 5TB), 72% more for 50% more storage (4TB to 6TB), which actually isn't all that horrible...

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

Much cheaper than Helium at that price and it's supposed to be faster. 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 722 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

I hate how they spend hours to tell what can be done with this new drive, yet even on the homepage under "What’s In the Hard Drive?" they don't provide a single detail except the 7.2k rpm spindle speed. Anyway, "25% faster than HGST" probably means STR, which means at least 1 TB platters (compared to 800 GB in the He6). The picture also shows 6 platters, but you never know if this is actually a picture of this drive.

Anyway, competition and innovation are certainly welcome in the long-stagnated HDD market. And it seems like HGST needs to update their He drive with at least 1 TB platters! With a premium technology you have to leading, otherwise the cheaper and simpler solution wins.

MrS

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

It's 6 1TB platters. 

We have a batch on order, hoping we get in 16 to run full suite of application tests against, unlike HGST who could only supply 2 He's.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I hate how they spend hours to tell what can be done with this new drive, yet even on the homepage under "What’s In the Hard Drive?" they don't provide a single detail except the 7.2k rpm spindle speed. Anyway, "25% faster than HGST" probably means STR, which means at least 1 TB platters (compared to 800 GB in the He6). The picture also shows 6 platters, but you never know if this is actually a picture of this drive.

Anyway, competition and innovation are certainly welcome in the long-stagnated HDD market. And it seems like HGST needs to update their He drive with at least 1 TB platters! With a premium technology you have to leading, otherwise the cheaper and simpler solution wins.

MrS

The Datasheet is online MrS. Soon, they certainly will post also the full Product Manual. That amount of detail is industry leading IMO.

#7 unityole

unityole

• 43 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

when can i buy this lol.  toshiba 5TB at 190 is so tempting I just wanna grab a few..

#8 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

unityole, methinks you have the wrong thread. (and the Toshiba 5TB, just google for it. :D )

#9 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 722 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

The Datasheet is online MrS. Soon, they certainly will post also the full Product Manual. That amount of detail is industry leading IMO.

Ouch - my bad! I searched the entire page but missed the "SPECS" at the top. My sincere apologies to Seagate.

MrS

#10 unityole

unityole

• 43 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

unityole, methinks you have the wrong thread. (and the Toshiba 5TB, just google for it. :D )

what i was trying to say is, the 5TB is very tempting because its cheap and I dont wanna wait for this one to come out lol

#11 xgman

xgman

• 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

I bought the 5TB model of this Segate v4 Enterprise drive from Provantage (came in a couple days) and partitioned it to use as an audio project and media storage drive on an mac where I need large capacity with quick load times. I replaced several Velociraptor 1TB drives with this. I haven't compared benchmarks, but I don't detect any slow down at all and the drive doesn't run as hot or make too much noise.

Edited by xgman, 15 April 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#12 anywhere

anywhere

• 51 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

And after buying my 3tb cudas..... Should I replace my array with these one at a time? I don't have any place to backup while expanding, so I was going to try and fail one drive at a time, add newer larger drive, let array resync, continue and do that for all drives, then finally grow the array to utilize new device size, and then grow file system to span new array size. I've done it before, just done know if id trust these 6tb monsters right away. Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Edited by anywhere, 15 April 2014 - 03:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users