• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rockystone

rockystone

• 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:21 PM

Hello

My laptop shuts down without any message & some times it just get freezed. I updated my windows VISTA through windows update. Now the error message shown during boot up is failed to load winload file- Repair the windows. I took out the harddrive & connected to my brother's laptop. I ran disk check & following results are shown. It found 1 bad cluster. Do i need to change my hardisk?

Diskcheck results are attached.

Please help!!!!

Attached Files

#2 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 635 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

What is a S.M.A.R.T diagnostic saying about the drive? Check the Hard disk manufacturers' site or use UBCD for hdd diagnostic tools. The tools may not work so well if the hard drive is in a usb enclosure,so you may have to put the hard drive back into the orginal laptop and run the bootable cd/usb tools.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If it comes back clean, the OS(Vista) is corrupted. You will need to look into repairing it or just reinstalling it(sometimes best option).  It it gives you a specific error message during loading, do some research on with Google.

If SMART fails, then it would be time for a new drive.  You may also want to consider a SSD. SSD VS Hard disk(HDD) guide.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#3 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 734 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

An easy way to check the SMART status from Win is using the freeware Crystal Disk Info. And if you have to reinstall anyway you might want to consider an up grade to Win 8.1 - it even makes better use of older hardware. With a laptop getting proper drivers may not be easy, though.

MrS

#4 J_Right_hiwix

J_Right_hiwix

• 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

I am learning, very informative posts here. thank you all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users