• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

The Toshiba Canvio Desk Desktop External Hard Drive comes in capacities of 4TB and 5TB priced at $249.99 and $299.99 respectively. All drives are inclusive of a three-year limited warranty.

Toshiba Canvio Desk Desktop 5TB External Hard Drive Now Available

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

$299.99 for 5TB version at Adorama, but holy cow, Toshiba's direct site has it for $195?

http://www.toshiba.c...TB/HDWC250XK3J1

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Sheesh. I suspect those will be bough for harvesting the drives inside.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 cbrworm

cbrworm

• 131 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

Has anyone seen these bare drives in the wild?  Is it mechanically similar to the toshiba enterprise 5tb drive?  

#5 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

And the $190 price, at least at B&H, has disappeared... up to $202 or something now, which is much closer to the Seagate Backup Plus 5TB.

#6 reader50

reader50

• 29 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

I bought one for harvesting. The product box says it's made in China. The drive inside is a Toshiba MD04ACA500 made in the Philippines.

Bare drive is a standard SATA, and the system reports it as 7200 RPM. Blackmagic disk test benches it at 209-213 MB/s at beginning of drive. Read and write both.

All the case electronics are on a miniboard that mounts to the SATA connector. Then there's a metal shield/heat spreader that covers the drive underside, connections, and enclosure board. Finally, 4 rubber bushings between drive assembly and plastic outer case. No fan.

I tried it before disassembly, made sure it worked before breaking the warranty. Seemed average for drive noise from a ventilated case. The case snaps together, no screws. If you know exactly where each catch is, you can probably open it invisibly. Otherwise, expect to rough up the catches.

Edit: I rebenched to confirm the figures. Original figures were from memory, when I opened it a week ago. A fresh test came up lower - turned out I had to use the storagereview trick to create small (10GB) partitions at beginning and end of drive to force writing at the proper locations.

Start of drive: 190-210 MB/s, read & write, tended to average ~200 MB/s. Confirmed with file copies to/from a RAID 0 array.

End of drive: 101-113 MB/s, read & write, tended to settle ~108 MB/s.

All speed tests were done via internal 3G port in a Mac Pro. I don't have a USB 3 port to test in the enclosure.

Edited by reader50, 20 September 2014 - 11:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users