• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

The WD My Passport Pro suits the needs of creative professionals and enthusiasts alike who need to shuttle large volumes of data in the field. The abundant 4TB capacity certainly delivers on this goal and the Thunderbolt connectivity lets the drive flow seamlessly with existing workflows.

WD My Passport Pro Review (4TB)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 Ryan Gregg

Ryan Gregg

• 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

What SATA to Thunderbolt controller does this use? Wondering what the internal link speed is?

#3 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hmm, sequential benchmarks from SR: the WD Passport Pro:

under RAID0 configuration, read speeds measured in at 203.9MB/s, while write activity hit 196.1MB/s

Seagate Backup Plus:

Seagate Backup Plus clocked in at an impressive 237.2MB/s in the write column and 183.4MB/s for read activity.

True, one is TB and one is USB 3.0, but good to know performance is pretty comparable...

#4 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Oh my.... pretty bulky, heavy and thick. The design of the enclosure doesn't help either.

Looks like someone had a bunch of 15mm enterprise targeted drives around and didn't know what to do with them..

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

They're 15mm Green drives, not enterprise. WD made these specifically for branded applications like this, they've been around for over a year. You could argue that Samsung out-engineered them with the 9.5mm 2TB and you'd be right. If WD had those drives to do this over again, the results would have been much better from a design standpoint.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 GeoPet

GeoPet

• 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

In addition to MacBooks, the other TB computer is the new MacPro.  It appears that the built-in TB cable, which appears to be non replaceable, may be too short to work with it.  If so, this is a bone-headed design decision.

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hmmm, the Pro is so tiny and those ports are midway up. Should make it but I don't know for sure. I'll get an official answer.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Just confirmed with WD that it reaches.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#9 shbumc

shbumc

• 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Anyone have more pictures inside of it? Thank you.

#10 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

We've kind of lost interest in taking the drives apart unless there's a good reason for it. Is there something specific you're looking for?

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#11 shbumc

shbumc

• 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

We've kind of lost interest in taking the drives apart unless there's a good reason for it. Is there something specific you're looking for?

Thank you, I don't know what I am looking for in particularly reason I just want to know how the design inside are. I am consider to buy this WD or Seagate Backup Plus Fast Portable but I don't know which one can be more trusted because it's RAID that concern me a lot, usually I will go for Thunderbolt fist but in this case the cable is far way too short and not user replaceable the design is really really thick and very very heavy compare to Seagate Backup Plus Fast Portable which is feel more 'portable' but then again it's back to the RAID which company design better? which one that I can put my life with?

#12 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

If it's the only backup, there's no way I'd trust RAID0. Depending on how much data you have, I'd rather see you get a NAS and back up to it regularly. 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#13 shbumc

shbumc

• 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

If it's the only backup, there's no way I'd trust RAID0. Depending on how much data you have, I'd rather see you get a NAS and back up to it regularly. 

Yes it's the only backup and I need 4TB of storage that don't need extra power cable, I'm thinking about using JBOD with the WD. Seagate doesn't have this option. Right now Seagate is the only one that I can buy although both of HDDs were manufactured in my country.

Edited by shbumc, 20 June 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#14 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

You're really better off with a NAS. A single disk backup as the only backup is not a good policy.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users