• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

The Samsung Spinpoint M9T drive is a great choice for any consumer wishing to acquire the largest possible storage space in a standard form factor. Samsung didn't just make the M9T big though, the drive posts excellent sequential transfer speeds, which is great for many of the drive's intended use cases. 

Samsung Spinpoint M9T Hard Drive Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 731 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

Looks really nice - I'd buy one if I needed one!

MrS

#3 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the review!  Is this drive now available to consumers?  I've been aching for this since you guys first posted about it last fall.

(Also: Are the colors on the graphs correct?  It looks like random 4k write latencies are faster than reads, which seems counterintuitive.)

#4 rcarlos243

rcarlos243

• 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

i own this drive (i opened up and extracted the 2TB Seagate Backup plus Slim) and installed it on my laptop (alienware m17x r3).

my question is, is it normal or safe that the drive is at 49-53 C while under load?

my Toshiba 1.5TB (2.5" 12.5mm also installed on the laptop) runs at 35-38 C under load

#5 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

The drive could be mounted in a spot that has more heat from surrounding parts nearby. While lower temps are better, 49-53C should still be in a safe but don't creep too much farther north range.

From the bare drive's spec sheet:

ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS

Temperature
--
Operating: 0 ~ 60°C

#6 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

i own this drive (i opened up and extracted the 2TB Seagate Backup plus Slim)

Did the drive inside have a USB connection soldered on, or was it standard SATA?

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

The two drives can be separated with standard sata connectors. We have an exploded image in the review and more shots in the forums thread.

Thanks for the review!  Is this drive now available to consumers?  I've been aching for this since you guys first posted about it last fall.

(Also: Are the colors on the graphs correct?  It looks like random 4k write latencies are faster than reads, which seems counterintuitive.)

I was told today the MSRP is $129, but I don't see it anywhere in retail.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#8 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Brian, thanks for looking into the MSRP and retail info!  I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I think you must be talking about the Seagate Backup Plus FAST, which has two 2TB M9Ts in RAID0?  That's awesome, but I was wondering if rcarlos243 can tell us if the Seagate Backup Plus SLIM has the same internal configuration (a SATA drive with USB converter inside).  If so, that would be perfect for those of us who desperately are hoarding our laptops' last free GBs until we can get a true SATA M9T!

The two drives can be separated with standard sata connectors. We have an exploded image in the review and more shots in the forums thread.

I was told today the MSRP is $129, but I don't see it anywhere in retail.

#9 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Oh yes, sorry. We can answer that soon. Our review unit just shipped.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#10 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

Q&As on Amazon say that it's in there (makes sense since it's Samsung and Seagate, and presumably Seagate got access to a bunch of the same drives to put into external enclosures whether Slim or Fast) so I jumped on one of the few remaining Prime options (black exterior was about $10 cheaper then the other colors and a fair bit under MSRP for the bare drive!).  Will report back to confirm or deny.

Happy dances!   :rolleyes:

Oh yes, sorry. We can answer that soon. Our review unit just shipped.

#11 rcarlos243

rcarlos243

• 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

Did the drive inside have a USB connection soldered on, or was it standard SATA?

The drive itself uses a SATA connector.

The drive could be mounted in a spot that has more heat from surrounding parts nearby. While lower temps are better, 49-53C should still be in a safe but don't creep too much farther north range.

From the bare drive's spec sheet:

ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS

Temperature
--
Operating: 0 ~ 60°C

i tried swapping it with other location but temps is still high, even if i use it outside my laptop (connected with the SATA=USB that came with it, it still runs hot

#12 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the quick response, rcarlos243!  When I get mine and have a chance to test it, I'll report on the temps as well.  Could be you got an oddball unit, or maybe the whole design runs hot - possibly due to squeezing all that capacity into a small space? (I kind of doubt my own guess there, since IIRC this drive gets to 2TB from platter density rather than more platters in a smaller space.)

The drive itself uses a SATA connector.

i tried swapping it with other location but temps is still high, even if i use it outside my laptop (connected with the SATA=USB that came with it, it still runs hot

#13 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

3x667GB platters.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#14 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Yep, it works beautifully!  It's a standard SATA connector internally and 9.5mm, now sitting massively in my laptop.  =)

Opening the Seagate Backup Slim was a straightforward matter of carefully separating the case with a slim screwdriver to get the adhesive to release.  Now will test it as an external enclosure with a different drive.

Q&As on Amazon say that it's in there (makes sense since it's Samsung and Seagate, and presumably Seagate got access to a bunch of the same drives to put into external enclosures whether Slim or Fast) so I jumped on one of the few remaining Prime options (black exterior was about $10 cheaper then the other colors and a fair bit under MSRP for the bare drive!).  Will report back to confirm or deny.

Happy dances!   :rolleyes:

#15 JJ Johnson

JJ Johnson

• 55 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

For 9.5mm height drives, is 3 platters unusual, or is it the 667 GB/platter density that is unusual? I was just wondering which was the technological feat that nobody else has apparently yet managed.

#16 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 731 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

Both :)

The others are staying at 500 GB/platter. They have 7 mm design with 2 platters (instead of the usual 1), so they should be able to extend this to 9.5 mm and 3 platters, but have not yet choosen to do so.

MrS

#17 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

HGST has a 1.5TB 9.5mm drive as well. 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

1 user(s) are reading this topic