Photo

Swapping Disk from external drive (Samsung 3TB D3 Station)

disk swap disk external drive samsung STSHX-D301TDB 3TB

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sebykos

sebykos

• 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Hello friends!

Recenttly I've bougt an external USB 3.0 HDD - Samsung 3TB D3 Station (model: STSHX-D301TDB).

This device has a 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 (Barracuda 7200.14 series) inside.

Because I don't need so much storage space on an external drive i want to swap the HDD inside with a 1TB from my desktop and install the 3TB drive inside my desktop, where it's needed and it's more secure.

I found this step by step guide for the disassembly of the external drive, and i managed to remove the HDD from the plastic case without any damage to the case, so I still can reassemble the drive in case of waranty issues biggrin.gif.

So far so good, but after I installed the 3TB HDD inside my computer over SATA 3, I found that the System doesn't recognize the format on the drive and I get a notification that the dive is unformatted and I need to format the drive.

And this is how it looks in Disk Management:

formatting.jpg

It seems like there is a special formatting on the drive (I guess related to the 2.2+TB drive problem and GPT paritioning???) that it's SATA 3 to USB controller is also meant to understand and manage... but I don't have enough knowledge to understand what happens behind the scenes....

If I replace the HDD in it's case and use it's SATA 3 to USB 3.0 controller and connect it over usb, I get access to the entire storage space ~2,72TB, and I can see the data stored on it:

usb.jpg

My biggest concern is what would happen if I install a different HDD (1TB) in this external drive case? I don't want to lose data. Will that controller mess with the partitions of the smaller drive?

It's not a problem to format the 3TB drive to use it in the desktop pc, because I havent't stored any data on it, besides it's 500MB of preloaded software. But will it be possible then to acces it using the sata to usb controller if i want to restore the drive back in it's original case?

#2 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hard to guess on the way it will operate through the USB enclosure, but the only safe route would be copying the data on the 1TB drive to something else before you install it into the enclosure.

#3 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

And this is how it looks in Disk Management:

Looks about right. From what you've said you're ok with formatting it, so I would go ahead, delete all the partitions on the 3TB, and then see if you can set it up with GPT and get it formatted...

. But will it be possible then to acces it using the sata to usb controller if i want to restore the drive back in it's original case?

That should be purely a hardware function so loading a separate driver shouldn't be an issue, although if you do suspect something is funny/extremely-non-standard, then as Kevin said, play it safe and copy your data somewhere else...

FWIW I've never seen anything THAT non-standard. A few enclosures from WD or whatnot would do a virtual CD but you could usually nuke that with the appropriate virtual CD uninstallation tool. Maybe there was one embedded in the enclosure firmware once upon a time, but that was years and years ago, and from everything you've described with this drive I would have a hard time confirming that with this or not.

#4 sebykos

sebykos

• 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Now I'm trying to find another empty drive to test with the eclosure controller. 

I could also transfer the contents of the 1TB drive to the 3TB drive in it's enclosure, connected via USB, and then test the 1TB drive in the enclosure... but this will take some time since the 1TB drive also has an old OS installed on one partition, which i haven't use for some time but i still have to boot and save some program data from there...

I guess this odd partitioning of the 3TB drive is some kind of workaround for the 2.2TB+ problem or is needed to support Samsung's software features that came preloaded on the drive, i'll post a screenshot for you:

soft.jpg

As you can see they provide some security features(SecretZone) and back-up scheduler (AutoBackup) also a Disk manager where i can format the drive and change the file system. I don't like to use custom software like this but maybe for this product it would be better...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: disk, swap disk, external drive, samsung, STSHX-D301TDB, 3TB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users