• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 D0M1N13

D0M1N13

• 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

Hi Forum,

I am planning on buying a 3 or 4 TB Hard drive mainly for storage purposes. I am planning to use it as an external hard drive. I want to hook up the hard drive to my Asus RT-N66U Router USB port so that my family members can access this hard drive anywhere in my home and can save music, video, documents, books to the hard drive. So it will act as a NAS ( Network Attached Storage ). What hard drive can you guys recommend me for a 24/7 use ? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :D

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Why not just get a NAS so you don't have single drive failure issues, access is easier (apps and out of home access) and you don't have to leave your PC on all the time? 

I'd be thinking about NAS drives for this duty anyway. People have had better luck with Seagate NAS in-PC but if you buy a NAS, either that or the WD Red are fine. Depends on budget mostly. 

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 D0M1N13

D0M1N13

• 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Thanks !! :) 

May you recommend me some of the external cases for 4TB hard drives ?  I know that not all hard drive enclosures support 4TB hard drives.  May you help me out, please ? :)

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

I don't know why they wouldn't at this point...we haven't spent any time with enclosures. Maybe you'd be better of just buying an assembled branded unit from Seagate, WD, G-Tech, LaCie...etc.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 cbrworm

cbrworm

• 131 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Make sure you update your firmware on the router - do a search for Asus vulnerability, it is specifically related to USB Drives connected to the router.  I believe the fix for that router will not auto-download from within the web-interface (it will say it is up to date), you need to go to Asus' website and download it.

As for the hard drive - if it is going to be in an external enclosure without a fan, one of the 5,400 or 5,900 RPM drives would run cooler.  In either case, one that is backed up regularly would be good.  I would almost be inclined to buy a pre-assembled drive and enclosure - they typically have power management features enabled that work without being prompted by a host PC.

#6 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 735 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

Without a backup you are "tempting" your family to put all their valuable data onto a single HDD, which can fail at any time. You didn't say anything about backup, so you may have some.. but if not, this is a dangerous plan. They'll get really mad at you if that drive fails!

MrS

#7 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:26 AM

Given how cheap Seagate/WD/Hitachi/whoever branded externals are, we generally just buy those. Most routers are not known for fast transfers, so the speed of the drive you plug in is almost completely irrelevant...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users