Photo

ADATA SSD S510 (or general lower-end SSDs) worth it?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iharuyuki

iharuyuki

• 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

I have a restricted budget of ~70 CAD for an SSD and I only really want to put Battlefield 4 on it.

On craigslist I've a guy who wants to sell me an ADATA SSD S510 120gb for 50 CAD. The drive has mediocre performance from what I see from benchmarks, would you say its still a worthwhile leap in performance over an HDD to get?

How much faster would load times be on an Samsung 840 Pro, for example, be vs. this drive?

On side note since it is a used drive I'm a bit weary of putting windows on it since it might fail. Is it a good idea to keep a backup copy of windows on my HDD just in case?

Thanks.

Edit: Is installing windows on an SSD as simple as connecting it to an SSD and installing it (i.e. I don't have to lose my data as its on the secondary(and original) drive)?

#2 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Load times in games will likely not noticeable in games between SSDs as they both have blazing fast access time compared to hard drives. For loading multiplayer maps, I would say it is worth it getting an SSD(even lower budget one).

I have OCZ vertex 2  with OS and BF4, and I am still usually one of the first ones to load in even with my less than stellar specs(see signature). It comes in handy when there is a single little bird helicopter on your side of the map and you have a buddy with an engineer repair kit and Lock-on stingers.

As for if that SSD is worth it, honestly IDK. Generally newer Firmware fixes most issue, but there can always be a chance.  Backups are always a good idea(even for expensive SSDs and hard drives)

Since It is on craigslist, I would check to see how long he used it and to see if there is a warranty left. Note: warranty may not be transferable but good sellers may do the warranty for you if there is an issue.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

I'm not too familiar with Canadian pricing vs US retailers like Amazon, but there are a lot of *new* SSD options for not a lot more than what you are looking to spend on that used SSD:

http://www.amazon.co...aps,k:120gb ssd

That EVO with the NVELO DRAM caching will be hands down your best bet for a high performance build.

And correct in the simple install. Load the SSD into your system, install Windows on it and use your old drive for bulk storage. If any software is installed on that old drive you'll need to reinstall it pointing the directories to the right spot. Cloning software that is included with the SSD can also help smooth things over if you dont want to do a clean install.

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

Enough sales pop up on NCIX or Newegg.ca that I would buy a new one with that budget. Techreport is pretty decent about posting sale info once a week, or hit hot deal tracking sites like Ben's Bargains, GotApex, Techbargains, Fatwallet, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users